London Journals

Honeymoon to Merry Ol' London

A June 2000 trip to London by suewho

Quote: This was a getaway to London that included an Elton John concert at Chatsworth in Devonshire.
Gorgeous Hotel with old world amenities. Granted there is not a pool available on-site, but in each room it is posted the famous people who have stayed in your room. Dame Judy Dench once stayed in our rooms. Quite fun!

I recommend getting the room service. The scrambled eggs are to die for. Cheers!

Mayfair Intercontinental
Mayfair

Elton John Concert

Attraction | "Elton Jon Concert"

What a side trip! Chatsworth was well worth the time spent sitting on a train for three hours. The concert was not so great because Elton was not able to tone it down for a smaller venue. He was treating this as though it were a stadium, granted it was an outdoor venue. Unfortunately, the weather was rainy and was not cooperating late in the day; it was also terribly cold for June.

The tour of the house was amazing and to experience the history of the estate. The late Princess Diana is a relative to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. It was a wonderful history lesson.

Elton John Concert
Chatsworth

Trooping the Colour

Attraction | "Trooping of the Colors"

We had the pleasure of seeing the dress rehearsal for this event. The Phaeton carriage, which was used by Queen Victoria and now carries Queen Elizabeth II, rides empty during these rehearsals with a card in the seat of who will be riding with the queen. Another carriage that is also in the parade is for the Queen Mum and again has a name card. There are two such rehearsals and tickets are given out on a lottery basis. This is nothing like an event in the United States. People dress up for the rehearsals as though it were the real thing. There are no flip-flops and cut-offs at this event. The British take their traditions very seriously. Love it! Tickets are avai;able on a first-come-first-served basi...Read More

Trooping the Colour
Horse Guards Parade
London, England SW1
+44 20 7414 2479 (ti

Harrods

Attraction | "Shopping at Harrod's"

Shopping for shoes is a recreational event. Their shoe department is, in my opinion, better than Nordstroms, which considered to be the best. The selection of Tod shoes is beyond compare and the staff knows how to take care of you. I was most impressed by their offer to hold my packages until I was finished shopping and then I could pick them up at the door on the ground floor. Why are there not more department store in the States doing this? Harrod’s know what it takes to keep the clientele base happy. Oh, and the tack shop on the seventh floor is fun, especially because I purchased a pair of riding chaps and gloves. I'm dying to go back. Also, do go see the Princess Diana memorial ...Read More

Harrods
87-135 Brompton Road
London, England SW1X 7XL
+44 (20) 7730 1234

Original London Walks

Attraction | "A Walk Through History"

The new husband and I took an afternoon to visit the British Museum. While there, we purchased a glass tile, which references our birth dates. The purpose of the glass tiles being sold by the museum was to raise funds for the enclosure of the buildings included in the British Museum complex. The British Museum is a great place to visit.

Across the street from the museum is a comic book shop (a favorite of the husband). I would quote the name of it if I could remember. Again, it’s another great place to hit.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 29, 2004

Original London Walks
PO Box 1708
London, England NW6 4LW
+44 20 7624 3978

The BBC Experience

The BBC was a great place for me. I got to see where many of my favorite shows were produced. I'm a huge fan of period flicks and the BBC is famous for such productions. The first one I think of is Pride and Prejudice -- thank you Colin Firth for making that film what it is.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 29, 2004

The BBC Experience
BBC Building

Sitting and Reading

Attraction | "An afternoon of sitting and reading"

For a small fee, you can rent a lawn chair and relax in the shade of age-old trees. The experience affords you the ability to watch the natives in their natural habitat. What better way to spend an afternoon? When in London, be a Londoner! Who knows, you might see one of the royals on their way about town on foot. Buck Palace, as you know, is right across the street. Cheers!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 30, 2004

Sitting and Reading
Close to Buckingham Palace

Hyde Park & Kensington Stables

Attraction | "Riding in Hyde Park"

I spent a few mornings while on my honeymoon hanging out at Kensington Stables go for a morning ride through Hyde Park. The ladies set me up with a great horse. Of course, being American, they wanted to see if I could ride. My years spent training with many instructors finally paid off. I loved the horse I was saddled with and went back to ride the next day. Afterwards, I found out the horse I had ridden was known to bolt. And he did -- it was GREAT! I had not been on a horse in three years and handled it like a pro. What can I say, we Americans like a challenge thrown at us! If you do this, buy the sweatshirt. They provide helmets if one is needed, so there’s no need for you to carry along on t...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2004

Hyde Park & Kensington Stables
63 Bathurst Mews & 11 Elvaston Mews
London, England W2 & SW7
+44 20 7723 2813

Covent Garden

Attraction | "Shopping in Covent Garden"

A shopper at heart, I enjoy spending a few hours to get my retail therapy. Shopaholics go forth and SPEND! I focused on buying antique books and held a first printing from Jane Austen, my favorite author.

Another place to go see in Covent Garden is the Transportation Museum. It chronicles the evolution of mass transit within London. There have been attempts to tunnel under the Thames and to go over the Thames for centuries and that also is documented at this museum. One can walk around and sit inside the old horse pulled trolleys. There is much to see and experience, so I truly recommend this.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 7, 2004

London, England WC2
+44 20 7836 9136

National Portrait Gallery

Attraction | "The National Portrait Gallery"

This is a must see. I do the bulk of my reading in the subject area of Henry VIII and all of the Tudor family members. It was great to see paintings of Queen Elizabeth I, Anne Boleyn, and various others. In some ways, it is almost surreal to be in the same room. How lucky we are to be able to see these! Thanks to the British sense of tradition, we do get to see these.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 7, 2004