Banff Journals

A week in Banff

A February 2004 trip to Banff by Jill/MT

Quote: I detest birthdays; so every year I plan an escape for my husband and myself. This year we went to Banff for the first time and had a great winter vacation. The highlights for us were: downhill skiing the back side at Lake Louise and eating at Giorgio's.
Best Things Nearby:Downtown Banff, Lake Louise, and Lake MinnewankaBest Things About the Resort:Pepper's Cafe, hot tub, shuttle to/from downtownResort Experience:The one-bedroom condo was small, but we knew that it would be because RCI described it as such, as did guests who wrote reviews. For the two of us and our 100-pound dog, we found the place to be just fine. The kitchen was adequate, there was always enough hot water and water pressure, and it was clean. Our complaint would be that we were on the ground floor and wanted to sleep in peace from 11pm to 7am and the younger group above us literally partied all night, every other night. We were extremely di...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 10, 2004

Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
1029 BANFF AVE
Banff, Alberta T1L1A2
403-762-5531

Giorgio's Trattoria

Restaurant | "Georgio's"

They do not take reservations, but the place is huge. My husband and I wore jeans and nice button-down shirts, which was fitting, as the overall dress code in Banff is casual. The owner greeted us and sat us at the bar while we had a short wait for a table. My husband let him know that it was my birthday and we were given a very nice, romantic table which overlooked the main street in Banff. Service was wonderful and our appetizer and entrees were delicious and filling. They had a wide range of wines and enough different desserts to satisfy anyone. We are always most impressed by service, when dining, and Georgio’s had both superb service and great food.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 10, 2004

Giorgio's Trattoria
219 Banff Ave
Banff, Alberta T0L 0C0
+1 403 762 5114

Lake Louise Ski Area

Attraction | "Skiing"

We had a beautiful sunny day, but no fresh snow, so the front side was a bit icy, but the back side was okay. The lines were short and the runs were long. There is a lodge at the base, one at the top, and one on the back side, so taking a break was convenient. The only oddity was that you could start a green run and it would turn into a blue run, then usually go back to a green run. My husband, who is a beginner, did not find this humorous or enjoyable!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 10, 2004