New Orleans Journals

Christmas in New Orleans

A travel journal to New Orleans by Davis

Quote: A visit to New Orleans at Christmas. My favorite things to see and do.

Christmas in New Orleans

A trip to New Orleans at Christmas would not be complete without a stay at the Fairmont Hotel. The block long lobby ceiling is decorated with clouds and ornaments, santa has a huge gingerbread house, hot cider and cookies. In 1995 I was staying at the Fairmont and on Christmas Eve I happened to be at the back door of the hotel when I looked in at the lobby I exclaimed out loud, 'That looks like Richard Simmons'. Sure enough, out the door he came, calmly I said 'Hi Richard'. He came over, kissed my cheek, exclaimed 'it's just like it was when I was a kid' and off he went. A game of golf. Riding the street car, beautiful homes and the zoo. New Orleans is a food lovers paradise. I don't ...Read More

The Roosevelt Hotel New Orleans

Hotel | "Fairmont"

Awesome. I am a Fairmont Guest Member. Every night you fill out a check off sheet to specify what time you would like coffee delivered to your room. You get a paper everyday and other great amenities.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 30, 2000

The Roosevelt Hotel New Orleans
123 Baronne St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112

Trolley Stop Cafe -Mo's Rbend Cafe

Restaurant | "Trolley Stop Cafe"

A trip to New Orleans would not be complete without breakfast at the Trolley Stop Cafe. The Cafe serves up some of the best breakfast ever! My all time favorite is the seafood omelette that comes with choice of grits, homefries or french fries. The portions are so huge, you will definitely see a lot of plate sharing at this cafe. Open for b/l/d and 24 hours on the weekends, you will not be disappointed with any of the menu items.

Trolley Stop Cafe -Mo's Rbend Cafe
614 S Carrollton Ave
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118

Mother's

Don't let the long line at this longtime standing restaurant scare you away, the wait is well worth it. Mother's has the employees each doing their own part to keep this restaurant serving up customers warm delicious food in a timely manner. One morning after an extremely long night and way too many Dixie beers we ventured over to Mother's for breakfast. My stomach was really upset and didn't eat much of what I ordered. About an hour later I came back thinking that maybe some plain grits would soothe my aching stomach. Of course, the line was extremely long and with a hangover I didn't have the patience to wait. I found a worker who I explained my situation to and she went and got me a huge helpi...Read More

Mother's
401 Poydras St.

Acme Oyster House

Acme Oyster House was the first restaurant I had ever tried in New Orleans. Many trips later I am still stopping by, knowing that my trip wouldn't be the same without a meal from Acme Oyster House. Oysters on the half shell are as good as they get!, nice and cold and salty and freshly shucked. My all time favorite po-boy in New Orleans is the soft shelled crab po-boy served up at the Acme Oyster House--what a treat!

Acme Oyster House
724 Iberville St.

Bluebird Cafe

The Bluebird Cafe is a little off the beaten path. Definitely a local hangout. Some even say they stop by for breakfast, then again around lunchtime for another breakfast and a doggie bag for later that night. The cafe is open for breakfast and lunch, closing at 3:00 pm. Although I have never been a huge fan of bran muffins the way they make them at the Bluebird has me eating them more than any other variety. They put raisins in them and wonderful spices! A box of these always go home with me.

Bluebird Cafe
3625 Prytania Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70115

Crescent City Brewhouse

Restaurant | "Cresent City Brewhouse"

A trip to the Crescent City Brewhouse is a meal without guilt. They have a policy of feeding the homeless so if you can't finish your meal you can ask them to share it instead of pitching it. This really makes me feel good as my eyes are always bigger than my stomach! I like to order the Muffalata and cut it into several pieces leaving the remainder to the side to share with people in need. I have found the best prices for Dixie beer to be at the Crescent City Brewhouse.

Crescent City Brewhouse
527 Decatur St
+1 504 522 0571

Ralph & Kacoos Seafood Restaurant

Restaurant | "Ralph & Kacoo's Seafood Restaurant"

As I am writing this I can almost taste the wonderful homemade hushpuppies that are served to you at Ralph & Kacoo's. Seafood is their speciality and if you love it as much as I do, especially fried you will not be disappointed, that is if you can stop eating the hushpuppies long enough to enjoy the rest of your meal. As with most chain restaurants, this establishment started out as a highly rated, popular seafood house. Chain restaurants are places that you either love or hate. I tend to order the seafood platter as their batter is delicious! And of course either the crawfish etouffee or gumbo. Anyway you look at it, I don't think one could have a bad meal in New Orleans nor can you eat eve...Read More

Ralph & Kacoos Seafood Restaurant
519 Toulouse St
+1 504 522 5226

House of Blues New Orleans

Restaurant | "The House of Blues"

The House of Blues has a restaurant that is casual where you can enjoy a meal or drink before the show. It is a really awesome theatre and well worth waiting until 10:00 for the performance to start. Being an early to bed, early to rise person I found myself getting my second wind and really getting into the music.

House of Blues New Orleans