Fort Myers Journals

Dolphins, dreaming & dollars

A travel journal to Fort Myers by Klompie

Adventures in Paradise Photo, Fort Myers, Florida More Photos
Quote: Fort Myers and Sanibel is the place to go to if you want to relax and enjoy lots of wild life.

Dolphins, dreaming & dollars

Playfull dolphin Photo, Fort Myers, Florida
At the harbor just before the bridge to Sanibel you can take different boat trips with Adventures in Paradise. You'll have a good chance of seeing dolphins playing around the boat! I can't get enough of the sealife encounter excursion. In 6 months time I have gone on this trip 4 times and everytime I have seen different creatures: dolphins, sting rays, seahorses etc.

Seaside Inn

Hotel

I really loved our room. We had an ocean view that we could enjoy from our little balcony. And when I say ocean view, I don't mean that you could see some water behind some buildings that are blocking your view! The view was spectacular, especially at sun rise: nothing but a beautifl beach, some palm trees waiving in the wind and a glorious ocean only a couple of footsteps away.

Seaside Inn
541 East Gulf Drive
Fort Myers, Florida 33957

Adventures in Paradise Photo, Fort Myers, Florida
Adventures in Paradise offers something fun for everyone: Tropical Sunset Cruises, Backwater Fishing, Sealife Encounter Excursion, Waverunner/Canoe, Kayak Eco Tours, Snorkel trips. I have fallen in love with their Sealife Encounter Excursion. You go out on a boat, watch the dolphins swim by while a biologist narrates. On a uninhabited island you catch fun creatures in the shallow water with a net, which are put in an 'aquarium' on the boat. Back on board the biologist educates you on 'your catch' and all sealife that has been caught by the big net behind the boat. A great way to learn something more about sea life and a fun way to spend some time on the water.

Adventures in Paradise
Port Sanibel Marina

J. N. 'Ding' Darling National Wildlife Refuge

Attraction | "J.N."Ding" Darling Nat. Wildlife Refuge"

If you want to see an alligator up close and personal, go canoeing the J.N. 'Ding' Darling National Wildlife Refuge. It's a peaceful way to become one with nature, even though you can't help but stay alert in case an alligator decides to have a taste of your canoe. No matter what, the surroundings are beautiful (and I didn't get eaten, not even by mosquitos which is unusual).

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 27, 2000

J. N. 'Ding' Darling National Wildlife Refuge
One Wildlife Drive
Sanibel, Florida 33957

Biking

Attraction | "Bikes at hotels"

Many of the hotels/bed and breakfasts on Sanibel Island, like the Seaside Inn, offer complimentary use of bikes. It is a great way to explore the island, especially since there are bike paths all over the island.

Biking
Rent from your hotel / b&b

Fort Myers Beach Pier

Attraction | "Pier Fort Myers"

If you have had enough of the peace on Sanibel Island, you should go to the Pier of Fort Myers. Around the pier there are several small bars and shops with plenty of activity going on. They also have a couple of icecream parlors where the icecream is to die for.

Fort Myers Beach Pier
End Of San Carlos Across The Matanzas Bridge

Shelling on Sanibel

The beaches of Sanibel are known for great shelling. You can find beautiful shells like Sand Dollars, especially if you walk on the beach in the morning. I even found a huge sea star, which was still alive (I hope I saved its life by throwing it back in the ocean). I know one thing for sure: I have never seen so many shells in my entire life!!!

Shelling on Sanibel