Hilton Head Journals

Golf, Gators, and Great Sights in Hilton Head SC

A January 2004 trip to Hilton Head by brmcga

Shipyard Cottages Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina More Photos
Quote: I came last year with the golf buddies and fell in love with the area, so this year, I brought my permanent golf partner, her sister, and her brother-in-law. They fell in the love with area, so we bought a timeshare week.

Golf, Gators, and Great Sights in Hilton Head SC

Last year was the first time I've ever golfed with gators (obviously, I haven't been to Florida!); it was still neat for me and my brother-in-law commented that this was the highlight of his trip. For me, this time, it was touring Savannah, GA. The old city was beautiful and the River Street sights, sounds, and smells were fantastic.Quick Tips: If you visit in January, bring a wide variety of clothing – while we were there, the temperature ranged from 72 to below freezing. The shopping is all well hidden from the main drags, behind lots of palmettos; there is very little signage and are no streetlights. As a result, during the day, you want to actually drive into the parking lots to...Read More

Shipyard Cottages

Hotel | "Cottages at Shipyard"

Shipyard Cottages Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
Best Things Nearby:The golf course was just around the corner. There were some specialty shops and grocery stores nearby.Best Things About the Resort:Very quiet, secluded location backing onto the golf course.Resort Experience:There were very few on-site amenities: they had an outdoor pool (too cold this time of year) and a hot tub that was too hot I'm told (I didn't venture in). The unit itself was a one-floor unit; nothing fancy compared to some of the other resorts we stayed in, but it was nice. The heating system was poorly designed also, so we trouble regulating the heat at night with the bedroom doors closed. They are tied in with Spinnaker, so you coul...Read More

Shipyard Cottages
35 Deallyon Avenue

River Street Inn

Restaurant | "Thre River Street Inn"

I don't usually like restaurant-prepared steaks, but this steak was fabulous, which was good, since the steak was my only menu option; everything else was fresh seafood. We wouldn't have gone in except that they were handing out two-for-one coupons on the street. This was in lieu of happy hour, which was a very popular activity on River Street.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 30, 2004

River Street Inn
River Street

Shipyard Golf Club

Attraction | "Golf at Shipyard"

Shipyard Golf Club Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
This was the first course we played and, for the entire golf party, the most enjoyable. The course was in great shape with quick greens. An amazing amount of wildlife populated the fairways, including gators, fowl, and other small creatures. I also played this course twice last year.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 30, 2004

Shipyard Golf Club
45 Shipyard Drive
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29928

Palmetto Dunes

Attraction | "Golf at Palmetto Dunes"

Palmetto Dunes Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
It didn't take long for me to figure out Mr. Fazio likes sand. The course was wide open, relatively speaking, with an average amount of wildlife. Personally, I should have shot a lot better than I did, so it's probably unfair of me to say more. Very friendly staff.

Palmetto Dunes
4 Queens Folly Road
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29938

Island West Golf Club

Attraction | "Golf off the Island"

Island West Golf Club Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
Like all the courses in the south, it was in good shape. There was a nice variety of sand, water, and woods, and our group certainly found them all. Score wise, this course was my favourite (88). It was a very fair course.

Island West Golf Club
Highway 278
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29910

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens

Attraction | "Roaming Plantations"

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens Photo, Charleston, South Carolina
The plantation house itself was nothing special. But the gardens were another story. We walked in them for almost an hour and a half. They have wide paths, interpretive signs, and many interesting stops. I must return in May sometime to see them in their full glory. Pay the money for the gardens, but go to Drayton Hall next door to see an original planation home.

Magnolia Plantation and Gardens
3550 Ashley River Road
Charleston, South Carolina 29414

The Pink House Photo, Charleston, South Carolina
We spent a good part of our day at Magnolia Plantation. We did get a few late afternoon hours in Charleston (our third trip there) and took a carriage tour of the area. Then we disembarked and wandered the streets, marvelling at the sights of this beautiful city.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 31, 2004

Old Savannah Walk

Old Savannah Walk Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
This was my second trip into Savannah; somehow, we didn't figure out the happy hour thing or that you could take your beer on the streets until this trip. Cobblestone streets and old waterfront buildings converted to shops, restaurants, and pubs decorate River Street. On top of that, walk around some amazing homes and marvel at the design of the old city. The streets were often designed to incorporate parks, with live oaks and Spanish moss, just like in the movies.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 31, 2004

Old Savannah Walk
Old Savannah

Tybee Island/Fort Pulaski National Monument

Attraction | "A trip to Tybee Island"

Tybee Island/Fort Pulaski National Monument Photo, Tybee Island, Georgia
This is one of the more interesting forts I've toured over the years. With the interpretive signs and talks, you could almost see the fort in its glory days. If you're into history and the Civil War, this is a must-see. We also threw in a drive to the pier at Tybee Island.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 31, 2004

Tybee Island/Fort Pulaski National Monument
Cockspur Island
Tybee Island, Georgia 31328

I can't stress enough that there are no streetlights in Hilton Head. That's to protect the wildlife, of which there is a lot. There are also bylaws regarding buildings, signs, and who knows what else to keep the look and feel of the country. It was very hard reading signs at night and it takes a while to figure out where things are. So to maximize your enjoyment, I'd recommend scouting out the area the on the first day in daylight. The off-season is very quiet, which is when we like to travel, but the weather gets to be crapshoot. We were lucky and had sun pretty much every day; however, many days were cool. The good news was it was much, much, colder back home. We were told my locals that...Read More