Freeport Journals

Xanadu, Freeport

A January 2004 trip to Freeport by aussidog

Quote: Warm weather, beautiful nature, and friendly people. Xanadu is under construction but if you go with this in mind, it is a nice place with a beautiful private beach.
Best Things Nearby:There is not much nearby. A two mile walk will get you to the International Bazarre and public transportation.Best Things About the Resort:Private beach that has two bars (one new for night time), vendors, and water sports right on-site.Resort Experience:This resort, at one time a five-star, is now under restoration. I read a lot of bad reviews due to the contruction. It did not bother me because I was already aware of this. I am curious to know how it will be when it is done. Ask for a beach view room. We had a marina view and it was not bad, but I wish we could have seen the beach better. Don't be shocked by the service. The Ba...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 21, 2004

Xanadu Beach Resort and Marina
SUNKEN TREASURE DRIVE
242-352-6782

Fatman's Nephew

I had the Mahi Mahi (fresh catch) and it was great. He had the lobster and steak. Don't bother with the steak, it tastes like steak-ums. The lobster was good. This restaurant overlooks the center court of Port Lucaya, so you can see the activity below.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 21, 2004

Fatman's Nephew
Port Lucaya Market Place
Freeport, Bahamas

I would highly recommend snorkeling. I fully enjoyed my experience, although it was too short. Now that I have some experience, I would rent the gear and go on my own to have more time in the water. For safety reasons (not getting run over by a boat, etc), I would recommend taking the tour.

Seeing pictures/TV ads will never be the same now that I have seen it for myself. Can't wait to try scuba!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 21, 2004

Paradise Water Sports
Port Lucaya

Reef Tours

Attraction | "Reef Tours Deep Sea Fishing"

It was like a glorified boat ride. We went from 8:30am - 12:30pm and only had one bite all day. It was a baracuda (about 3'). So everyone else paid big money for a boat ride. I would not do it again. Next time I'll go for the bottom/reef fishing. At least I'll get to fish. Oh, I did catch some rays so it was not a total waste of time.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 21, 2004

Reef Tours
Lucaya Marketplace
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island

Port Lucaya Marketplace

Attraction | "Pub Port Lucaya"

It's a party every night. Don't let anyone talk you out of it. The Painkillers at Pub Port Lucaya are just that. A must try!

The bartenders are very nice and it is probably one of the least expensive places to drink.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 21, 2004

Port Lucaya Marketplace
Sea Horse Road on Bell Channel Bay
Freeport, Grand Bahama

Wednesday Night Fish Fry

Attraction | "Smith's Point Fish Fry"

A local fish fry/dance party held every Wednesday at a local bar on the beach. Beware, the fish is whole! It was good but I am not a big fan of my food looking back at me.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 21, 2004