Miami Journals

Trip through the Southern States

A December 2003 trip to Miami by GuyBrighton

Greenview Hotel Photo, Miami Beach, Florida More Photos
Quote: 2645 miles in seven days in order to speed through the southern United States and spend New Years Eve in South Beach, Miami.

Trip through the Southern States

The I95 Photo, Miami, Florida
Road trip to Miami for NYE '03! Includes Philadelphia, Chesapeake Bridge & Tunnel, Virginia Beach, Charleston, Savannah, St. Augustine and Miami.

Use this as an itinerary or as suggestions for towns to visit, restaurants to dine at or bars to drink at.

This is a driving trip. Get a decent car and ignore the speed limit (a tiny bit).
Greenview Hotel Photo, Miami Beach, Florida
I spent a couple of nights here on a Rough Guides Journal recommendation. The place is hip, relaxed and cosmopolitan. They staff seem to be very helpful. The rooms are smart and trendy - if a little simple and spartan. The hotel is at a good location too - just at the northmost point of where all the action is on South Beach. I did have a couple of problems: *I tried to book 2 nights using the hotel's website and when I turned up I found out that I had booked one (yes, even my email confirmation said one - doh, but I swear I picked 2 nights on their Flash over-designed webs...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 4, 2004

Greenview Hotel
1671 Washington Ave

Best Western King Charles Inn

Hotel | "King Charles Best Western"

Not in the 'centre of the historic district' as described but just at the northern point of it - which was fine, and I bet kept the price down ($89). Room was good and the staff very helpful re. restaurant recommendations and bike hire. Trash being collected outside at 6am was the only downer.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Best Western King Charles Inn
237 Meeting Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29401

Indian Creek Hotel

Hotel | "Indian Creek"

Indian Creek Hotel Photo, Miami Beach, Florida
Slightly set back from the other Art Deco hotels, it is very peaceful, a short walk to the beach, a short walk down to South Beach where all the action takes place.

It has a great feel to it, with period furniture and decoration. Although clean and tidy, the rooms do feel a little 1936, though.

The courtyard is pleasant and the pool looked tempting (but was a little too cold).

Oh - P.S.: No double beds!! (Or that's what they told us New Year's Eve!)

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 18, 2004

Indian Creek Hotel
2727 Indian Creek Drive
Miami Beach, Florida 33140

Chicks Oyster Bar

We found this great locals' place when coming off the south part of the Chesapeake Bridge and Tunnel. Great value seafood - including she-crab stew. In the summer, it must be great with its deck out onto the marina.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Chicks Oyster Bar
2143 Vista Circle
Miami, Florida

A great place to try Southern cuisine. We started across the road at a microbrewery bar, then came in here and sat at the chef’s table overlooking the impressive kitchen – I had great steak and girlfriend had tuna that made me cry, it was so good (when it came back the second time, when she asked if they could cook it a bit).

Unfortunately - she was sick in the night and we could only point to the raw tuna she ate the first time around. (I had it when it came back.) We phoned the restaurant the next day and they were great and even offered to send us a voucher.

So - my recommendation is go - but make sure the seafood ain't raw!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Slightly North of Broad
194 East Bay St.
Charleston, South Carolina 29401

Tap Tap

Tap Tap Photo, Miami Beach, Florida
We had dinner in the glorious Tap Tap restaurant on 5th Street, Haitian food in the most pretty restaurant I can remember. Resident Haitian artists have decorated this place with a celebration of their homeland's cultural images. The fish dishes were amazing and the atmosphere was simple but relaxed. I’d go every day if I lived there.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 13, 2004

Tap Tap
819 Fifth St

World Resources

Restaurant | "Global Resources Cafe"

Don't be put off by the name - found on the pedestrianised Lincoln Road, we spent much of a NYE evening sitting at the bar watching the world go by - wondering where we were going to be at midnight. The sushi was fantastic, as were the Cuba Libras.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 18, 2004

World Resources
719 Lincoln Road
+1 305 535 8987

Versailles

Deep inside Little Havana you can eat at a Cubanos hang out called Versailles. You can get there by car or taxi. Around you everyone will be speaking in Spanish apart from the American frat boys in the corner who've ordered far too much.

The food is varied, from sandwiches to huge entrees. Outside you can line up at their coffee window and get an espresso shot to help wake up.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 20, 2004

Versailles
3555 Southwest Eighth St.
Miami, Florida 33135

Lounge 16

This is a cool relaxed bar with a DJ. It's probably one of the more funky and less mainstream bars in the area. It's a locals' hangout. Tuesdays is Indie Night. The crowd is quite young, but I got carded (I'm 32), so I felt that I fit in ok!!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 13, 2004

Lounge 16
423 16th Street

Meridian Street

Take a walk up the marvelous Meridian Street from 5th Avenue up to Lincoln. It's a little off the beaten track, but it’s full of Art Deco places people live in. All recently renovated and gayly painted with pastels. Worth a venture! Note: Be on your guard at the south end of the street.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 20, 2004

Meridian Street
Miami Beach

Matheson Hammock Park Marina

Attraction | "Matheson Hammock County Park"

Take a drive through the city, past the skyscrapers, down the coast, and along the tree-darkened streets in Coconut Grove to spend some time on the small beach on Matheson Hammock County Park. It can be quiet.

Tip: Sit on a bench and look back over towards Miami and Miami Beach.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 20, 2004

Matheson Hammock Park Marina
9610 Old Cutler Road
Coral Gables, Florida 33156

Chesapeake Bridge Photo, Miami, Florida
We left rather late on Saturday 27th December. Later than the 7am we had planned a few days earlier. So we left Philadelphia just before 2pm and rushed towards Chesapeake Bridge and Tunnel along Interstate 13. Along the road we found rolling irrigation devices 100 feet wide towering above mile-wide farm fields. Silos formed mountain ranges in the distance. We travelled from Pennsylvania through Delaware and Maryland. I felt quite at home as I passed Kent, Sussex, and Somerset counties but got confused when I noticed signs for Glasgow and Dover. The sun came down and shone through the woods beside the road. We weren’t going to make the bridge in time for sunset. Mile-long fl...Read More
Swamp Fox Diner Photo, Miami, Florida
We woke up in South Carolina in a highway motel at 10am. I went to get coffees from the Swap Fox shack – you could tell you were in the south now. It was only 49° but you could feel the sun licking your skin. The journey along the I95 took us past swamp, some cotton fields, and dense woodland. Here and there religious signs reminded you of Christmas – some were more in-your-face. My favourite was: "Wise Men Seek Him - The Offer Stands". Many important battles and events during the Civil War happened here in these states, and (after a little revision) I would love to return to look out across fields and imagine what happened. We took the I26 off the highway to the charming and antique town...Read More
Tap Tap Photo, Miami, Florida
I got up and enjoyed the free coffee and bagels at the Greenview then ‘gently’ pushed the Lady off the bed. We spent the rest of the morning enjoying the glorious sun by the pool in the sister hotel, The Albion, then went for a wander. We walked along South Beach and then went back inshore. We walked up the marvellous Meridian Street from 5th Avenue up to Lincoln. A little off the beaten track, but it’s full of Art Deco places people live in. Worth a venture! We had dinner in the glorious Tap Tap restaurant on 5th Street, Haitian food in the most pretty restaurant I can remember. Resident Haitian artists have decorated this place with a celebration of their homeland’s cultural images....Read More
Lagoon Beach Photo, Miami, Florida
We drove through the city, past the skyscrapers down the coast and along the tree darkened streets in Coconut Grove to spend the morning on small beach on Matheson Hammock County Park. It was quiet and we sat on a bench and looked back over towards Miami and Miami Beach. We went back into Little Havana and ate at a local’s hang out called Versailles -- a real Cuban hangout. The Lady ordered in Spanish until she couldn’t quite figure out ‘Dark or white meat, madam?’. Outside, she lined up at their coffee window and got an espresso shot to wake her up. Back on South Beach, we moved hotel to Indian Creek -- an aging but fun Art Deco hotel that once sat on the river (Indian Creek). We walk...Read More

About the Writer