Eastern Caribbean Journals

Cruising the Eastern Caribbean

A November 2003 trip to Eastern Caribbean by Cindy Grant

Atlantis Hotel Photo, Bathsheba, Barbados More Photos
Quote: This was our first cruise and it definitely will not be the last! I took my mom. Our ports included Aruba, Barbados, Martinique, and St. Thomas. I have visited Barbados before and I'm never disappointed!

Cruising the Eastern Caribbean

I've been to Barbados before -- it is my favorite island. Aruba was also beautiful -- we did some snorkeling there and definitely did not spend enough time exploring the island. Unfortunately, Martinique was rainy on our port day, so we definitely have to go again! St. Thomas’ shopping didn't disappoint!Quick Tips: You can never go hungry on a Carnival cruise! There’s a buffet breakfast until nearly noon, a buffet lunch until afternoon, a buffet dinner until nearly midnight, a midnight buffet, hamburgers and pizza around the clock, and meals in the formal dining room if you miss a buffet.Best Way To Get Around: The best way to get around the islands when your time is short is to ...Read More
Atlantis Hotel Photo, Bathsheba, Barbados
A meal at the Atlantis Hotel is a treat, both for visitors and locals. It may be a little pricy, but I think it is well worth it just for the view. The outdoor tables overlook the fishing village below and the sea, which frequently changed color as the sky clouded up a little bit and then all the clouds went away. We enjoyed our buffet lunch in the company of a small bird which sat on the railing. A must try while in Barbados is the flying fish, which is usually on the menu here.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 30, 2003

Atlantis Hotel
Tent Bay
Bathsheba, St. Joseph
246-439-3000

Andromeda Botanic Gardens

Attraction | "Andromeda Botanical Gardens"

Andromeda Botanic Gardens Photo, Bathsheba, Barbados
Six acres of beautifully landscaped grounds. You will see a tremendous variety of plants and trees, with frequent glimpses of the ocean through the trees. Specimens were collected from around the world by the late horticulturist Iris Bannochie and the gardens are now managed by the Barbados National Trust. There is also a small gift shop and cafe.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 30, 2003

Andromeda Botanic Gardens
St. Joseph
Bathsheba, Barbados
246-433-9384

Animal Flower Cave

Not for the faint of heart! To get down into the cave, you must climb down huge steps (and climb back up). You are climbing down the cliffs to the ocean. The views through the cave openings are stunning!

Animal Flower Cave
North Point
Barbados, Barbados
246/439-8797

Harrison's Cave

Attraction | "Harrisons Cave"

Don your hardhat for a tram tour through underground tunnels, where you will see crystal-clear streams forming waterfalls. The stalactites and stalagmites have been forming for thousands of years; some have met to form amazing pillars.

Harrison's Cave

Welchman Hall, Barbados

St. Johns Church

St. Johns Church Photo, Eastern Caribbean, Caribbean
St. Johns Church sits on a cliff overlooking the beautiful east coast of Barbados. The present-day church replaces the one destroyed in a hurricane in 1831. The views are very picturesque and worth a visit.

ABC Tours & Attractions

Attraction | "Aruba Adventures"

ABC Tours & Attractions Photo, Oranjestad, Aruba
We booked a group jeep tour through abc-aruba.com and had a great adventure! We saw California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Natural Bridge and Baby Bridge, the gold ruins, snorkeling stops at Natural Pool and Baby Beach, and enjoyed a bumpy ride through Arikok National Park. Everything on the tour was great, except for snorkeling at Natural Pool. Nothing that I saw on the web prepared me for how hard it would be to get down the steps and back up again. The snorkeling was okay, but the visibility wasn't really great. The problem was that the currents in some places would dash you against the rocks and you had to swim twice as hard to get around. The guys at the pool fed the fish, so they would ...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on December 31, 2003