Western Caribbean Journals

birthday cruise

A December 2003 trip to Western Caribbean by elenahass

Quote: My husband surprised me with a cruise for my 30th birthday and this was a great trip.

Sting Ray City

We went on this as a shore excursion through the cruise ship and it included masks, snorkel, and fins. There are approximately 120 stingrays out on this sandbar. The water was only about 4 feet deep. The stingrays were amazing, the females get to be about 5 ft across and the males only about 1 1/2 ft. Our trip included some squid to feed them, and they come swimming right up to you and all around you it is just amazing. The guide with us caught one and held it so you could pet it and hold it. My husband jumped on the back of one and was able to ride it some. It was a lot of fun.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 27, 2003

These Mayan ruins were very impressive. There are quite a few buildings exposed and we were able to climb up a couple of them, the biggest being El Castillo. From the top, we could see Guatamala - it was an incredible view, and unfortunately, it was raining that day, so it was hazy, but on a clear day it must be breathtaking. The only word of caution is that it is quite a climb up and down. There are no railings, as they are old structures and you are very close to the edge and very high up. Because of the rain, the steps were very slippery and it was a treacherous climb down.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 27, 2003

We took a bus from the port across part of the island to where we got off and met our horses. They were not big horses, but they were the horses we were going to ride. After the guides, who spoke no English, sized us up and put us on our horses, we were ready to go. We were in the first group of people and we headed down to the beach to begin our ride. After a short ways, I noticed a couple of girls in front and their horses were galloping down the beach. Unfortunately, they didn't want their horses to be running, and the guide had to go chase them down. After this adventure ended, we turned our horses around and started to head back from where we came. We were all confused because we thought w...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 27, 2003