Escondido Journals

December in Escondido

A December 2003 trip to Escondido by dalefried

Quote: Escondido is a northern suburb of San Diego. The friendliest people in the world were here at the Lawrence Welk Villas, and the people of Escondido and San Diego were the nicest people also. High recommendations for this timeshare.

Welk Resort San Diego

Hotel | "Lawrence Welk Resort, Escondido"

The resort is gorgeous, nestled in the mountains. The rooms are tremendous and beautifully decorated. The sliding glass door opened up to a beautiful patio with the golf course immediately in front of us, and the mountains on the left and right of us. The staff were very helpful and the guests were the friendliest people in the world! I visited in December, and most of the guests were senior citizens, but we had so much fun with everyone, especially on the tours. If you want to sight see in San Diego, it is an hour away, so I recommend going on the tours. Lenny, the bus driver is the greatest. Take the tour of Tijuana and he'll tell you all the reputable stores to go to.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 23, 2003

Welk Resort San Diego
8860 Lawrence Welk Drive
Escondido, California 92026

Fireside Cafe

What a lovely restaurant with a roaring fireplace. We arrived at 6pm and were presented with a Twilight Menu with a choice of six entrees. It came with a salad and bread, all for only $11.95. We both ordered the breaded shrimp and baked potato. It also came with a vegetable. The portion was a good size too. They had a regular dinner menu also. We were very happy with the beautiful, romantic atmosphere, delicious food and reasonable price!

Fireside Cafe
Washington Boulevard
Escondido, California

Mr. W Restaurant

This restaurant is on the Lawrence Welk property, so it is very convenient. We were seated immediately, but I can't say that the service was great. I ordered a Caesar salad and jalapeno poppers. The jalapeno poppers were really delicious, but the Caesar salad was just all right. You can't really ruin lettuce, I guess. My mother had some fish, and she said it was okay also. The price was average. I only recommend it because it is so convenient, not because it is great food.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Mr. W Restaurant
8860 Lawrence Welk Boulevard
Escondido, California 92026

Lorenzo's Pizzeria

This is on the Lawrence Welk property and is part of the general store and deli. There are tables and chairs on the pizzeria side so you can eat there if you like. It was only 6:30pm, and the pizzeria was dark. We had to order in the deli.

A medium-sized pizza pie was $13. A large-sized pizza in NY costs $8.95, and we couldn't buy it by the slice. I grew up in Brooklyn, so it was a poor imitation of what real pizza should taste like, and it wasn't cheap! This is convenient to have on-site, but I don't really recommend it.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Lorenzo's Pizzeria
8860 Lawrence Welk Boulevard
Escondido, California

Buster's Beach House & Longboard Bar

Restaurant | "Buster's Beach House"

This restaurant is within the Seaport Village complex. It is cute...it is supposed to be like a Hawaiian restaurant. The service was very good. We had a table by the windows, so you could see people walking, and the boats that were docked in the harbor. I had a Thai vegetarian noodle dish, and my mother had fish and chips. We both liked our dishes.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Buster's Beach House & Longboard Bar
807 West Harbor Drive
San Diego, California 92101
+1 619 233 4300

Wild Animal Park

Attraction | "San Diego Wild Animal Park"

It is only about 20 minutes away from the Lawrence Welk Resort. What a lovely day we spent at this park. It is different from the San Diego Zoo because the animals are in a big preserve and wander around. The weather was gorgeous and all the animals were out. The Birds of Prey show was cute, but the Elephant Show was pretty lame. FYI: Bring your walking shoes, because everything is really spread out and there weren't enough signs guiding you to the right locations. Highly recommend this park, especially if you don't want to drive an hour to the San Diego Zoo.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 6, 2004

Wild Animal Park
15500 San Pasqual Valley Road
Escondido, California 92027

Seaport Village

It took an hour to drive from the resort, but it is so beautiful to walk around and shop in the unique, funky shops. There is a carousel for the children. You walk along the water and we saw a tremendous cruise ship docked. There are restaurants and bars here too. I have been looking for a crystal figurine for two years, and I found it there at the Crystal Palace store! It was on sale, and I was able to ship it home with insurance. I was so happy. This location has so many hard-to-find, unique items. We got lost driving back from here, but I'm so glad that we came. Parking is so expensive, though. It cost $1 every 20 minutes, and the first two hours are free with validation, but it still cost us $9! ...Read More

Seaport Village
849 West Harbor Drive
San Diego, California 92101

Tijuana Tour

The tour is offered by the timeshare. We were advised by other guests who have taken the tour, that it is worth the $43.00 price. The bus driver, Lenny, is very knowledgeable and gives you information on the whole way down in the bus. Our first stop was Calafia Hotel. It took about 2 hours to get there. You have to pass such poverty, it is a shame. The hotel is perched on a cliff and is surrounded by the ocean on three sides. There is a separate cost for the brunch. I think it was $9.00 USD. One margarita is included in the price. You can have unlimited coffee. The food (buffet) was very good, and plentiful. You can feel confident that you can eat anything here. When we finished eating, we played M...Read More

Tijuana Tour
Leaves from Lawrence Welk Villas

Pala Casino Resort Spa

Attraction | "Pala Casino"

We were originally going to drive into downtown San Diego to see a cute show for our last night of vacation, but honestly, I hated driving so far, so we decided to go to the Pala Casino, which was only 20 minutes to the north. I live on Long Island, and we don't really have too many mountains, so I am not used to this dangerous driving with steep cliffs on one side and big mountains on the other and you can't see what is coming around the bend. My heart was in my throat during this part of the drive. I think you have to drive on this road (Rt.76) if you visit the Palomar Observatory. Then out of nowhere, you see the bright lights of the Pala Casino. You can park in the indoor parking lot. The casino i...Read More

Pala Casino Resort Spa