Boracay Journals

Boracay, Philippines

A November 2003 trip to Boracay by panda2

Quote: Its beautiful water views are filled with boats transporting people. Nigi Nigi Nu Noos 'e' Nu Nu Noos was a very nice experience.

Boracay, Philippines

Boracay Island is served by two airports: Kalibo (KLO), with a 1.5- to 2-hour, uncomfortable bus ride (150 to 175 pesos), and Caticlan (MPH), with bus transfers to Caticlan Jetty Port for a boat ride to the island. Get enough cash prior to arriving at the airport, as there is no ATM at Kalibo airport. The saving grace of the uncomfortable ride from Kalibo is a wonderful restaurant Niños Ihaw Ihaw in Kalibo if you have the time. Tricycles for hire are the best way around Kalibo. There is an ATM in downtown Kalibo. Boracay ...Read More

Nigi Nigi Nu Noos 'e' Nu Nu Noos

Hotel

Nigi Nigi Nu Noos 'e' Nu Nu Noos offers a different look and feel in the accommodations. Our room was upstairs with an open roof, so the air flows through, but not let the rain in. Because of this openness, our bed came with a mosquito net. It's like being in a tropical hut on stilts, feeling wind blow through, hearing birds chirping clearly, seeing people walk by underneath. This is really neat. It's a modern hut with stairs. It's inconvenient putting up with the mosquito net. But how often can you experience a tropical setting like this in a hotel room? Along with this openness, which offers an experience I wouldn't get in a regular walled room. I feel my sense...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 18, 2003

Nigi Nigi Nu Noos 'e' Nu Nu Noos
Boat Station 3, Boracay Beach
Boracay Island, Philippines
(63 36) 288 3101

The place we stayed at was arranged by an acquaintance. The place is very basic and clean, with virtually no sound insulation, but there is air-conditioning and satellite TV. There was no laundry service, though they would make an exception for a price. Clean sheets. Limited selection of soft drinks may be purchased at front desk. Check out time was noon. Cash only. Friendly staff.

A wonderful restaurant, Niños Ihaw Ihaw, is on the same street, within walking distance.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 1, 2004

Banza

This place was recommended by another customer. I wanted to try the Portuguese custard pudding dessert, but they were out of it. I ordered my steak rare, but it came well-done. My partner ordered fish, and it was overcooked and therefore tough. The garlic rice had larger pieces of garlic and a stronger taste. The food was all right/fair, but I personally feel there was too much food, and it's not worth the money they charge. It's near boat station 3. Open 8am-10pm daily.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 18, 2003

Blue Berry Restaurant is located near d'Mall entrance, less than a ten minute walk. I like the name of the restaurant and our server with a nice pleasant smile. We ordered breaded pork, blue marlin, and chicken adobo. My partner thought this has been the best adobo he's tasted in the Philippines. On a subsequent visit, part of the restaurant dining area was underwater from a tropical storm that hit the area earlier in the day. The food was very good, the service was good, and the prices were great. Limited seating.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 18, 2003

J. J.'s

J.J.'s was very close by Blue Berry. We ended up eating at J.J.'s when Blue Berry's dining area was covered in water. We ordered a couple of short order items, a noodle dish among them. Very tasty, very economical. The restaurant is less than a ten-minute walk from d'Mall entrance. Very basic and limited seating.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 18, 2003

Niños Ihaw Ihaw

Niños Ihaw Ihaw is a popular local restaurant. When we first stopped by, it was packed with customers, but we didn't stay, as there wasn't any air-conditioning, and it was too hot. But we stopped by the next day for lunch -- it was just about empty, and the warm heat was bearable with the fans blowing our way. The most memorable dishes are their steamed fish with cream sauce and the crab with red sauce (that tasted like sweet and sour sauce to me) -- wonderful. It's been a few days, and I'm still thinking about that crab with red sauce. Ask for the garlic rice instead of the steamed rice. This place steamed the fish right -- it wasn't overcooked and was very tasty. These places c...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on November 1, 2004

Wave

Wave disco is nicely done. The music selection was only fair, and the volume was loud. Small two-level dance area. There was sand on the floor, making sliding too easy or not sliding difficult. Open from 6pm to 2am.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 18, 2003