Sawara Journals

Sawara of Japan

A September 2003 trip to Sawara by ariesgirl

Katori Jingu Temple (Katori Shrine) Photo, Sawara, Japan More Photos
Quote: How did I use my 25 hour stop-over at Japan Narita airport? I visited Sawara. I like old Japan and I love Japanese food. I have done internet research before I go. But it is always good to pick up local leaflets from tourist information. The best sources is JR (Japan Rail) where they promote the use of their rail to visit places. Full colour brouchures/leaflets with much more details. Extra good if you can read some Japanese/Chinese. (The older the historic location, the more Chinese.) There is a small tourist/visitor information window next to Sawara station, too.

Holiday Inn Tobu Narita

Hotel | "Holiday Inn Narita Tobu"

Holiday Inn Tobu Narita Photo, Narita, Japan
Well, I haven't made up my mind, and only book the hotel during transit at one of Salt Lake City Airport's Internet terminals. After over 10 hours' flight from the USA, I just fancy somewhere near the airport.

Typical hotel room. The items in the room are old. But I like the background-music feature of the bedside table-radio unit.

They offer a free shuttle bus from the airport, but there are only about two shuttles per hour. Not as frequent as other hotels.

There's an Internet station (coin-operated) in the lobby.
There's an Amita souvenir shop on the ground floor.
They have restaurant and spa facilities; I was too tired to try any, though.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on October 24, 2003

Holiday Inn Tobu Narita
320-1 Tokko, Chiba-Narita
Chiba, Japan 286-0106
81-476-32 1234

Katori Jingu Temple (Katori Shrine)

Attraction | "Katori Jinguu"

Katori Jingu Temple (Katori Shrine) Photo, Sawara, Japan
This is a national-grade historical site. It's a very old temple where generations of Japanese emperors and empresses visited and planted trees.

Nice and quiet.

There are shops on the road leading to the temple, serving meals and selling souvenirs.

How to get there? Japan Rail from Narita to Sawara. Take a bus or taxi, or walk to the Katori Jinguu--depends on your budget and time available. Not too near to walk. Please note that trains and buses are NOT frequent. The best time to visit is when they have the Sawara Matsuri Festivals in autumn.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 24, 2003

Katori Jingu Temple (Katori Shrine)
Japan Rail from Narita to Sawara
Sawara, Japan

Little Edo Sawara

Little Edo Sawara Photo, Sawara, Japan
Little Edo means a town preserved parts of the buildings and atmosphere as if they are from the Meiji and post-Meiji era. Sawara is not the only one, but it is near Narita. The historic area is supposed to be a 15-minute walk from Sawara station. But I took a taxi. This town has Ino Tadataka's museum and Flows Museum, an old-style river tour on the Ono River, hundred-year-old shops, and buildings with particular architectural features and styles. (I wish I'd had more time to explore all those museums and river tour. But I had to catch the plane.) I like the Edo feel! For more photos and maps and day-to-day notes, please see my ...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 24, 2003