Paris Journals

Paris layover - 12/7/02

A December 2002 trip to Paris by gmulligan

Arc de Triomphe Photo, Paris, France More Photos
Quote: I had a layover in Paris after my Zigbee meeting in Sophia Antipolis. I spent a day seeing Paris.

Hotel Mercure Paris Champs Elysées

Hotel | "Tulip Inn Elysee Foch"

This hotel is a bit off the main path, but the hotel and staff are nice. It is a short walk to the "Arc de Triumph".

The first room I had was very small and the internet didn't work, but after a complaint I was moved to a larger room. The internet still didn't work, but someone had a wireless access point running nearby and if I put my laptop near the window I could use their internet connection.

Hotel Mercure Paris Champs Elysées
51 Rue Lauriston
Paris, France 75116
(+33)1/56265929

Restaurant La Butte Chaillot Photo, Paris, France
This was a very nice restaurant, but the appeal of the French food was lost on me. I'm sure others would find it much more to their liking. The service was excellent.

Restaurant La Butte Chaillot
110 Bis, Avenue Kleber
Paris, France

Le Pino Elysees

Le Pino Elysees Photo, Paris, France
This is a pizza/Italian place right on the Champes Elysees. They cook an egg on the center of the pizza. It is very crowded and noisy, but the pizza was good.

Le Pino Elysees
Paris
Paris, France

Eiffel Tower

Eiffel Tower Photo, Paris, France
This structure is just amazing. I didn't realize just how large and tall it was. I thought that I could walk to the top! I bought a ticket that allows you to walk up and ride the elevator down (smart plan). I walked up to the first level and thought, "wow, no problem". I made it to the second level and thought was was doing ok, just a bit winded. Then I saw that you couldn't climb stairs any higher! The reason--I was only about a quarter of the way up. This tower is huge!!! I wandered around the second level and got a chocolate crepe. It was cold and windy and they were warm and great. I wrote out a couple postcards, stalling while I warmed up. I'm glad that I had a ne...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 20, 2003

Eiffel Tower
Champ De Mars
Paris 75007

Arc de Triomphe

Attraction | "Arc de Triumph"

Arc de Triomphe Photo, Paris, France
It is ok. I like the monuments in Washington DC better, but then this is France. It is about 200 steps to the top. Yes, you can go inside the monument. There is a museum inside and you can get out on the top. It isn't nearly as tall and the Eiffel Tower (duh) but it has a great view down the Champes Elysees.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 20, 2003

Arc de Triomphe
Place Charles-de-gaulle
Paris, France 75008
+33 (1) 55 37 73 77

Cathédrale Notre-Dame

Attraction | "Notre Dame"

Cathédrale Notre-Dame Photo, Paris, France
Amazing! I was able to sit in Notre Dame on Sunday night while they were playing an organ festival. It was fantastic. The sound and grandeur is something not to miss!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 20, 2003

Cathédrale Notre-Dame
6, place du Parvis-de-Notre-Dame
Paris, France 75004
+33 (1) 42 34 56 10

Musée du Louvre

Attraction | "Louvre"

Musée du Louvre Photo, Paris, France
I wanted to go earlier, but ran out of time running around Paris. I had to go on the way to the airport. Just enough time to run down the halls toward the Mona Lisa and Statue of David. They were both on the same side of this huge museum--thank goodness.

They were neat to see, but you need at least a half day just for the museum.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 20, 2003