Springfield Journals

Ozarks Paradise

A travel journal to Springfield by Casual Tourist

Exotic Animal Park Photo, Springfield, Missouri More Photos
Quote: There are more things to do and see in and around Springfield, MO than you can do in a lifetime. Here you'll find a myriad of activities and attractions. Come along.

Ozarks Paradise

Take your pick of highlights -- If you're into Country Music, glitz and glitter, you can spend your time in Branson where things are hopping 24/7. Amusement parks your thing, then take off for Sivler Dollar City and have the rides of your life. More into nature, then explore one of the many caves in the area or drive over to the Exotic Animal Paradise in Stafford. Whatever your taste, you'll find something to tempt your appetite.Quick Tips: Plan ahead. There are so many attractions in various directions that it's best to lay out a plan of attack first. Otherwise, you find yourself going in all directions at once.Best Way To Get Around: You'll need a vehicle to get around to the ...Read More

Crystal Cave

Crystal Cave has been preserved in its natural state as much as possible considering that regular paths have been established for tourists to travel. The tour is guided and takes about an hour. There are many interesting and unique formations in the cave, and I found it well worth my time.

Plan another 1/4 to 1/2 hour for the gift shop. Great stuff here.

Crystal Cave
5 Miles North of I-44 on Highway H
Springfield, Missouri

Marvel Cave

Attraction | "Silver Dollar City"

Marvel Cave Photo, Branson, Missouri
Silver Dollar City is just what the name implies. It is a city set within the time-frame of the time when Americans rushed to find precious metals in them-thar hills. There are stores, and restaurants, houses, and craftspeople plying their trades. But much more, there are musicians putting on shows, theme park rides, cave exploration, and more. The terrain is hilly, so it's best to get a map of the park and plan your day so that you are going uphill during the first part of the day when you are fresh and taking the downhill paths toward the end of the day, when, I assure you, your feet will be quite tired. There are rides for all personality types. If the thrill-a-minute rides are ...Read More

Marvel Cave
399 Indian Point Road
Branson, Missouri 65616

Exotic Animal Park

Attraction | "Exotic Animal Paradise"

Exotic Animal Park Photo, Springfield, Missouri
The Exotic Animal Paradise is a drive-thru park where the animals roam free. There are over 70 different species housed within the park, which made for a wonderful variety. Getting close to an elk or buffalo was quite thrilling. Some of the animals had no problem just sauntering up to your car, even to the point of sticking their lips in if your window was down a bit. It's not recommended to have your windows down at all and visitors must stay in their cars -- a good suggestion, I'd say. We had a great time. Took a little over an hour to tour the park and I liked it so much the first time that I've gone back for a second look.

Exotic Animal Park
124 Jungle Drive
Strafford, Missouri 65757

Branson is quite an experience. The entertainment part of town is pretty much a strip down the highway, with so much on each side of the road that it would take a week to cover it all. And new attractions are being added continuously. Nighttime at Branson reminded me of a little Las Vegas, only without the gambling. My husband and I went to the Jimmy Stafford Theater and saw Tammy Wynette. He's an avid country fan and he found himself in heaven in Branson. Besides the Country Music entertainment, there are a ton of t-shirt shops and Ozark craft shops. Although there are plenty of hotels and motels in Branson, I personally found the town to be much too busy for me and so we s...Read More

Shepherd of The Hills

Shepherd of the Hills Photo, Springfield, Missouri
Our visit to Shepherd of the Hills was rather spur of the moment. We found it on the highway as we were returning to Springfield from Silver Dollar City. There is a homestead and other attractions located here, but all we explored was the tower. It gave us a wonderful view of the beautiful Ozarks. There was some interesting information within the tower conveying information about the Shepherd of the Hills, but the main attraction for me was the view.

So Many Caves

Springfield MO Photo, Springfield, Missouri
We visited a number of caves in the Springfield area and I must admit I don't remember the names of most of them. What I do remember is that there are a lot of caves in that area and that each one of them is wonderful. I'm not brave enough to go exploring caves on my own so the guided tours offered in the Springfield area were just what I needed. Some of the tours were walking tours and some were riding tours on trams. There were always gift shops with crystals and geodes as well as numerous other treasures.

When you get to Missouri, make sure that you visit some of their marvelous caves.

Table Rock Lake

Table Rock Photo, Springfield, Missouri
While in the Springfield area, take a day to visit Table Rock Lake. It's a beautiful drive to the south of Springfield. The lake offers the usual water recreations as well as a serene lakeside park. We found it to be a nice break from sight-seeing, a chance to have a picnic meal and enjoy the quiet of the water.