Kauai Journals

Kauai - I must be in golf heaven

A July 2003 trip to Kauai by jankej

Quote: This was my first time in Hawaii. It was for only seven days, so I'm glad I did some research first.

Kauai - I must be in golf heaven

The highlights of this trip were sailing the Na Pali coastline and golfing at the Princeville Resort, both Prince and Makai courses. Sunset Dinner at Bali Hai Restaurant on the North Shore and best dinner ever at the Pacific Rim Cafe.

Rent snorkel equipment and leave it in your car, go exploring, looking for waterfalls and out of the way beaches. Rent or borrow a guidebook for Kauai. We used the Ultimate Kauai guidebook, it was a necessity.

We rented a convertible, it is the only way to go.

Pahio at Shearwater

Hotel | "Pahio at the Shearwater"

Best Things Nearby:Bali Hai Restaurant, Queen's bath, Prince and Makai golf courses, Hanalei Bay, Na Pali Coastline, and Tunnels Beach.Best Things About the Resort:View, view, view--the lanai overlooks the ocean, and there is nothing like it. The accommodations were great as well.Resort Experience:Large two-bedroom unit with a Jacuzzi in each. There were great tradewinds blowing in, keeping the place cool in August even without air conditioning. Great stereo/TV setup with DVD and VCR. Kitchen had everything you needed and more. Not much to do in the way of amenities except a pool and spa, but we didn't miss it at all. We were always on the go. ...Read More

Pahio at Shearwater
Princeville
Kauai, Hawaii

A Pacific Café

Restaurant | "A Pacific Cafe"

One of the best dinners I have ever had in my life. If you like Pacific Rim cuisine, this restaurant should go on your must do list. Get the Pacific Rim Sampler, it is a must. I had the potato crusted onaga, and also tasted the wok charred mahi, and both were wonderful. You may not leave stuffed, but you will leave satisfied.

A Pacific Café
4-831 Kuhio Highway #220
Kapa'a, Hawaii 96746
(808) 822 0013

Princeville Golf Course

Attraction | "Princeville (Prince Course)"

What a fun course. Every hole is a challenge, every hole a postcard. The course was a lot of fun and the service was excellent. I will play there again. Ok, it was $150, but you're on vacation, enjoy it.

5-3900 Kuhio Highway
Princeville, Hawaii 96722
+1 808 826 5000

Princeville Golf Course

Attraction | "Makai Course"

Played all 27 holes. After the playing the Prince I was expecting to be let down, but I wasn't. All 27 holes were fantastic, some holes had better views than the Prince Course. I will definitely play again.

5-3900 Kuhio Highway
Princeville, Hawaii 96722
+1 808 826 5000

Smith's Tropical Paradise

Attraction | "Smiths Tropical Paradise - Luau"

The food and drinks are awesome. I was not expecting much from the food itself, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The show started off good, but quickly got a little boring. I think they need to inject some humor into the show to keep it interesting. They take you through the history of polynesian dances, the dancers are very talented.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 30, 2003

Smith's Tropical Paradise
174 Wailua Road
Kauai, Hawaii

Waimaea Canyon

Story/Tip

This is the Grand Canyon of the South Pacific. It was a nice drive and the weather was nice and cool at the top--92 degrees at the bottom and 76 at the top. We made it to several lookout points and were about to turn back when a gentlemen selling postcards showed us Kalalau Lookout on one of the cards. I asked him how to see it and he said keep going another few miles and you will get there. Boy am I glad we did, it's one of the most spectacular lookouts on Kauai. Stop for Joe-Joe's shaved ice on the way back, it doesn't look like much, but it is a nice treat.