Mobile Journals

They Called It Mobile -- Alabama

A May 2003 trip to Mobile by haccher

Quote: I visit the Mobile area about twice per year and have always enjoyed the food, historic homes, gardens, and museums.
I've been patronizing Rousso's for the past 14 years and have always enjoyed the food. During my first visit I noticed that the menu states in small letters at the bottom that the chef would be pleased to prepare any item on the menu in the Greek style. Since I've always enjoyed Greek cuisine, I ordered a salad and the stuffed shrimp prepared in this manner. Roussos has made this my favorite food on each visit to the city. The chef also sends the waitress out to let me know the progress of my meal, and I know that it is hand prepared especially for me. I've taken my friends to the restaurant and they've always complimented me on this choice.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 24, 2003

Roussos Seafood Restaurant
166 S. Royal Street
Mobile, Alabama 36602

The best time to visit Bellingrath Gardens is during the spring when azaleas are in full bloom. The garden has smooth walkways and many areas of the garden are laid out in rooms with walls of different varieties of azaleas. These azaleas bloom in tones of light pink, hot pink, red, white, and lavender.

I was not impressed with the house because the tour group was too large. The boat ride was a bit more interesting. I was disappointed with the Japanese gardens because so much of it was recreated in inferior materials. I believe that originally the Japanese area may have been more authentic, but perhaps damaged or destroyed by hurricane.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 24, 2003

Bellingrath Gardens and Home
12401 Bellingrath Gdns Road Theodore
Mobile, Alabama 36582

This museum features a section on the history of Mobile and the region from the earliest days of the Native American, through the French, Spanish, and English occupations. Since Mobile hosted the earliest known Mardi Gras celebration, a section of the museum focuses on this tradition with displays of elaborate costumes worn during the season. The museum has recently moved into a new location and many of these displays may have changed since my last museum visit to Mobile.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 24, 2003

Museum of the City of Mobile
111 South Royal Street
Mobile, Alabama

Phoenix Fire Museum

The Phoenix Fire Museum is another of the museums of the city of Mobile that is open to the public at no charge. The museum is housed in the Phoenix Volunteer Fire Company No. 6 fire station building. The museum features many turn-of-the-century steam engines and early motor driven fire trucks. A collection of other early firefighting memorabilia is on display with some items dating from 1838. The museum is open Tuesday-Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 1-5pm, and closed on city holidays.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 24, 2003