Massanutten Journals

Massanutten week of relaxation

A September 2003 trip to Massanutten by Liken D Sun

Quote: My wife, in-laws, and my 3-month-old son traveled with me to the resort at Massanutten for a week of relaxation and fun activities!

Massanutten Resort: Eagle Trace

Hotel | "Eagle Trace at Massanutten"

Best Things Nearby:The whole resort was full of fun activities and things to do like golf, mini-golf, crafts, shows, and just relaxing in a hot tub or pool.Best Things About the Resort:The unit was large and had a nice view. I was overwhelmed by the wildlife around the units. The deer and groundhogs were everywhere and were not afraid of humans!Resort Experience:There was so much to do on the resort in terms of activities that the four adults covered less than 25% of the activities available. Off the resort there were a number of wineries within an hours drive. I would suggest the wine tasting, tours and dinner that are run by the resort first. ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 15, 2003

Massanutten Resort: Eagle Trace
Route 644
McGaheysville, Virginia

Skyline Parkway

While we did not stop to hike we did do a family drive down the parkway. We saw many, many deer alongside the road (and sometimes on the road). The speed limiit is 35, and I would say that speed is optomistic, so plan lots of time. The facilities on the parkway close at 5pm, so if you need a general store or gas station do not expect them open late!

One more tip: go on a sunny day and do not drive it on a foggy day. My in-laws drove it on a foggy day and found it took forever.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 15, 2003

Skyline Parkway
Blue Ridge Mountains

Golf at Massanutten

The course is actually an executive course that has had another nine holes added. Holes 1-7, 17, and 18 are part of the executive course and are short but nice. The new holes (8-16) are longer, sculpted into the terrain, and are beautiful. These new holes are best done with a power cart as there may be a long walk between holes, but are well worth doing. They have tournaments during the week that are fun and included if you have an activity card.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 15, 2003

Golf at Massanutten
Woodstone Meadows

Massanutten Mountain

Attraction | "Massenutten Mountain"

The repaired front nine should be nice when finished (sometime in 2004?). The whole course is beautiful but the back nine can be a little frustrating. The course has a slope on holes 10, 11, and 12 so that a drive down the middle roles off of the fairway to the right. The good news is that if you hook your shot into the bush it will often role out to the middle of the fairway (2 for 2). It is a nice and reasonably challenging course!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 15, 2003

Massanutten Mountain
Massanutten Village

Wine Tasting

We attended the wine tasting session at the resort and were slightly disappointed. We had hoped to be tasting numerous Virginia wines. We tasted some wines from one winery and were given very basic info on tasting wine in general. If it is your first wine tasting it would be quite informative, but is not great for people who have attended anything like this before.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 15, 2003

Wine Tasting
1822 Resort Drive
Massanutten, Virginia 22840

Shenandoah Caverns

The Shenandoah Caverns were quite beautiful and were far more than I had expected. We had an excellent tour guide and the tour took approximately 1 1/2 hours. Time seemed to fly by, even for our 3-month-old son who quite enjoyed it. I would recommend this tour to anyone!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 15, 2003