Lake Tahoe Journals

Lake Tahoe '03

An August 2003 trip to Lake Tahoe by Debbie Sanchez

Quote: Lake Tahoe just had breathtaking views. Emerald Bay is the second most photographed area in the world.

Paradise

Hotel

The accomodations were very modest . . . a queen sized bed, a small dining/living room, and a kitchen so narrow that the refrigerator could not even open all the way. The couch was very uncomfortable also. I could not recommend this to anyone. The picture at rci.com led me to believe that these accommodations were right on the lake, when in reality, it was in an area with other apartment buildings. . . in fact, it was like a little apartment. The lake activities were super, though. The owners were nice and they had a small collection of videos you could borrow. But overall, compared to the timeshare that I own in Carlsbad CA, it does not even compare!

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

Paradise
3701 Blackwood Drive

Beacon Bar & Grill

Restaurant | "The Beacon Bar & Grill"

This is a great restaurant! My husband and I went to the Beacon on the recommendation of a lady that we met there at Camp Richardson on the sunset sail cruise. She had eaten there a few times before. We made a reservation about 12 noon the same day (Thursday) for 5pm. We got there a little early, so we had a drink in the bar while we waited to be seated. We were seated about 15 minutes later, about 5:05pm, on the patio on the beach. A live band was playing, as it always does. My husband had a macadamia salmon with sauce. He absolutely loved it! I had the crab feast and a feast it was! They have a special menu for the kids. The service was great and the food, even better! I recommend this restaurant v...Read More

Beacon Bar & Grill
1900 Jameson Beach Road
South Lake Tahoe, California 96158

Hog's Ribs

"This is a local hangout" is the word I got from a cousin that lives there. This is your rib place . . . they mostly specialize in ribs and chicken. I had the baby back ribs and they were scrumptious . . . finger lickin' good! My husband had a steak, but it was cooked incorrectly, and when he sent it back, it came back cooked correctly, but wasn't very good in his opinion. The others in our group had chicken and said it was good. They gave us good service. If you go to Hog's to eat, order chicken or ribs!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

Hog's Ribs
Hwy 50

IHOP

We went to the IHOP restaurant and it was pleasingly very good. The portions were plentiful, compared to that of other IHOPs we have been to. The service was excellent also. I recommend the cheese blitz, which is what my husband ordered three days in a row.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

IHOP
Hwy 50

Camp Richardson

Lake Tahoe, in general, is a great place for a vacation getaway for just the two of you or for the entire family. There are lots of activities. The people there are very nice and everyone has a great time. The lake is beautiful and the little shops in the town are fun.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

Camp Richardson

Attraction | "Woodwind II Sail Cruises"

For $26 for adults and around $13 for kids, you can cruise Lake Tahoe in a beautiful trimaran sailboat. About 30 people maximum go. They have a full bar down below and and you sit on the deck of the boat or on a bench at the rear of the boat (by the captain) for a spectacular view. You can feel the wind in your face and it is very relaxing. It takes you out for about two hours on the lake. It is well worth the money.

Camp Richardson

Attraction | "Woodwind I Sunset Cruise"

After going on the Woodwind II sail cruise, we decided to go on the Woodwind I Sunset Cruise the next night for half price. It was beautiful and romantic for my husband and I. Included in the price of $15 was champagne or beer, and the sunset was beautiful as the sun disappeared over the mountains.

Lake Tahoe, California 96158

It was a well maintained golf course . . . very flat and I found it to lack the challenge of other golf courses. I believe it is a par 71 course, but visually very boring. There is water on the course, but doesn't really affect your shots too much.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

Lake Tahoe Golf Course
2500 Emerald Bay Road
South Lake Tahoe, California 96150
+1 530 577 0788

MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa

Attraction | "Caesars"

I went to Caesar's on my birthday. My husband and I gambled . . . me on the $25 blackjack table and him on the keno machines. I lost $400 in less than 30 minutes on my birthday! I bought a visor that said Caesar's on it and added "stole $400 on my birthday!" Later that night, we went to see Boz Scaggs in concert. It was really good! My recommendation is: don't go there to gamble, but check out the shows!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 23, 2003

MontBleu Resort Casino & Spa
55 Highway 50
Stateline, Nevada 89449

This was a little shop that we came across while shopping for souvenirs. They dress you up in Western clothing and photograph you. The quality is wonderful and it's done on the computer. The cost is $42 for an 8x10 photo, the matting, and a nice wood frame. We will enjoy these pictures for years to come.