Sedona Journals

Sedona Arizona family vacation

A July 2003 trip to Sedona by drosengarten

Sedona Summit Resort Photo, Sedona, Arizona More Photos
Quote: Spending the week in Sedona and the surrounding areas is a very enjoyable vacation. The climate in Sedona is wonderful. Even in July temperatures were in the low 90s during the day and cooling off to the high 60s at night. With the low humidity it was very comfortable.

Sedona Arizona family vacation

Drive Snebley Hill Road from 89a to I-17. A half mile off the highway it turns to a gravel road that is easily traveled in a car (we took the trip in a minivan without any trouble). It provides excellent views. Pink jeep tours are excellent and I highly recommend the broken arrow tour.

Remember to drink plenty of water. It really is dry and you will dehydrate quickly.

A car is required to best see Sedona.

Sedona Summit Resort

Hotel | "Sedona Summit"

Sedona Summit Resort Photo, Sedona, Arizona
Best Things Nearby:Grand Canyon 100 miles -- Sedona area -- Slide Rock State Park -- Jeep Tours.Best Things About the Resort:Resort is deserving of its Gold Crown status. Rooms are well decorated and in good condition.Resort Experience:The resort consists of approximately 20 buildings containing four two-bedroom lock-out units each. All units appear to be identical in design. An adults-only pool is located in the center of one group while a family pool is located on the other side of the resort. Resort has a small game room and child activity center located near the family pool. There is a laundromat at the resort, as well as washer/dryer units located in all ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 1, 2003

Sedona Summit Resort
4055 Navoti Drive
928-204-3100

Oak Creek Brewing & Grill: Tlaquepaque

Restaurant | "Oak Creek Brewery"

Oak Creek Brewing & Grill: Tlaquepaque Photo, Sedona, Arizona
Located in the Tlaquepaque shopping village the Oak Creek Brewery is a micro brew pub where we had excellent lunch sandwiches in a very pleasent micro brew setting. . http://www.oakcreekbrew.com/oakcreek/grill.php

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 30, 2003

Oak Creek Brewing & Grill: Tlaquepaque
336 Highway 179

Oaxaca Restaurante & Cantina

Restaurant | "Oaxaca Restaurante & Cantina"

Having eaten at many Mexican restuarants, I found less than average and the prices slightly higher than other places. The service was not as good as normally found in Mexican restuarants. I would not recommend the Oaxaca. I was told that there were better Mexican restuarants in town.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 2, 2003

Oaxaca Restaurante & Cantina
321 N. Hwy. 89A
Sedona, Arizona 86339

Keiser's West

Keisers West was located near the Sedona Summit where we staying and we stopped for dinner because it was convenient. Keiser's presents a family enviroment serving excellent food. I had the prime rib, which was very good. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 2, 2003

Keiser's West
2920 West State Route 89A
+1 928 204 2088

Hideaway Restaurant

Restaurant | "The Hideaway Restaurant"

We arrived after viewing the sunset from the airport mesa, so we did not get to fully enjoy the excellent view from the patio seating. The patio provided a very pleasent dining area as the evening cool off nicely. The meal portions are large and of excellent quality.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 2, 2003

Hideaway Restaurant
251 State Route 179
+1 928 282 4204

This restuarant was recommended to us at our resort. If you dine during the day, you watch small aircraft takeoff and land from the small airport. I found the food and service to be average. The restaurant had a small town feel to it, definitely not what I expected to find in a vacation area.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 2, 2003

Sedona Airport Restaurant
1185 Airport Road

Pink Jeep Tours

Pink Jeep Tours Photo, Sedona, Arizona
We were traveling with my teenage daughters, ages 14 and 15, and my in-laws, who have just recently retired. I think everyone in our group had more fun on the jeep tour than any other single thing we did during our vacation. The teenagers thought rock climbing in the jeep was great and the tour definitely brought you to areas for scenic views that you were not going to see with the family minivan. We took the Broken Arrow tour that cost $65 per person. You can get a discount if you make reservations on their website.

Pink Jeep Tours
204 North State Route 89A
Sedona, Arizona 86339

Slide Rock State Park Photo, Sedona, Arizona
This is the most amazing water park made by Mother Nature. Rock formations provide a series of natural water slides. My teenagers thought this was fantastic. Smaller children would need very close parental supervision due to uneven water depths and the moving water current. We visited in July and the water was surprisingly chilly. Park fee of $8 per car.

Slide Rock State Park
7 miles north via Oak Creek Canyon road (Highway 89A)
Sedona, Arizona

Grand Canyon National Park Photo, Grand Canyon, Arizona
Everyone visits the South Rim, which is a must. But most people miss what I considered the most impressive views located along the Desert View Drive. Drive out to the watch tower and you will get a great view of the Colorado River that is almost unseen at the canyon village area.

Grand Canyon National Park
P.o. Box 129
Grand Canyon, Arizona 86023

Safeway Grocery

Story/Tip

A full-scale Safeway grocery is located downtown. When entering the store, my wife noticed that you had to have a Safeway card to obtain the discounts. It is worth the five minutes it took to apply because the card saved us $35 off our bill during our week's stay. You can obtain the discount card for free in advance if you visit their website.
Sunset Photo, Sedona, Arizona
Make the short drive to the Sedona airport located on top of hill in downtown Sedona and you can watch the sunset accross the Red Rocks.

Sedona landscapes

Story/Tip

Sedona Photo, Sedona, Arizona
Words can not descibe what Mother Nature has created in Sedona. I have posted several pictures of what you will see throughout Sedona. Sedona is beautiful everywhere you look.