Orlando Journals

A Week at Vistana Resort Orlando

A January 2003 trip to Orlando by JBartlett11

Disneys Animal Kingdom Photo, Orlando, Florida More Photos
Quote: Had a very relaxing time during the off-peak season at wonderful Walt Disney World. The weather was cool and the crowds were small. This is the best time to go!!!

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas, Lake Buena Vista/Orlando

Hotel | "8800 Vistana Centre Drive"

Best Things Nearby:Truly you are in the central of all of Orlando's main attractions. One of Disney main entrances is about 1 mile away. Disney is so close you can see the fireworks every night at midnight from Pleasure Island where New Year's happens every night. Vistana also has a lot of amenities. Most pools are close by the unit, as well as an activity center for each area. Best Things About the Resort:The timeshare unit that we stayed in was in the fountain section of Vistana. The units did show some wear and tear, but they were great. The outdoor amenities were plentiful. There are plenty of pools and whirlpools some just a short distance from your unit. We did not s...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 11, 2003

Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas, Lake Buena Vista/Orlando
8800 Vistana Centre Drive
Orlando, Florida 32821

We tried the famous wood-fried oven pizza. I had the spicy grilled chicken and my fiance had the four cheese pizza. They both were delicious and brillant. We were there in late January and the weather was cool, but they use some type of heat-type tower everywhere and eating outdoors was excellent. It was well worth the trip.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 22, 2003

Wolfgang Puck Express
1482 East Buena Vista Drive
+1 407 938 9653

This was a very nice Thai restaurant. I selected this restaurant because I am a member of i-dine and it was in the book. Also my fiance is Thai and we wanted to try some Thai food. To me, the decor was very nice. The employees there are from varies parts of Asia and not solely Thai, but most of the cooks are Thai. This is not a typical Thai restaurant, but good. The food was very mild and sweet, where as traditional Thai food is very spicy. If you never tried this type of food, this is a good start.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 22, 2003

Thai Thani Restaurant
11025 S International Drive
Orlando, Florida 32821

Coney Island

Restaurant | "Coney Island Lobster Feast"

This was another i-dine recommendation. It is situated in a hotel, I believe the Quality Inn, or some other brand name hotel along the 92 strip. This restaurant was not very busy, but moderate because of the location and competiton between all the other seafood buffet restaurants in Orlando. I believe it could hang in there. The lobster was plentiful even through you are limited to one lobster at a time. Also crab legs, roast beef, pizza, and other favorites. I would go again.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 22, 2003

Coney Island
5150 W Irlo Bronsn Mmrl Hwy
Orlando, Florida 34746

Ghirardelli Soda Fountain

Restaurant | "Ghirardelli Soda Fountain and Chocolate Shop"

This is one of the best ice cream places on WDW property. It is near Pleasure Island. We just made it in before they closed the door. The service was very good - you did not see any grumpy employees complain because of our late arrival. I had a banana split and my fiance had a sundae with nuts. The ice cream was very good and it is highly recommended, especially on a hot day. Oh, we brought some chocolate too! The total about $20 because of the heart-shaped chocolate. It would have been about 14 without.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 22, 2003

Ghirardelli Soda Fountain
Downtown Disney Marketplace
Orlando, Florida

Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney's Animal Kingdom Photo, Orlando, Florida
We spend a good time at Animal Kingdom. We spent most of our time on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. I believe my girlfriend and I went on it at least 5 or 6 times and each time was just a little different. It all depends on who is the driver on the safari. Kali River Rapids is a very wet ride. I skipped it this trip because I had a video camera and I just did not want to put it down in the locker. Dinosaurs was a excellent ride. It is very fast and bumpy.

Do not forget to walk all the trails. It is very interesting and an often forgotten attraction because most people just want to do the rides and not view the animals.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 26, 2003

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Walt Disney World Resort

Walt Disney World Resort Magic Kingdom

Attraction | "Disney's Magic Kingdom"

Walt Disney World Resort Magic Kingdom Photo, Orlando, Florida
The best time to go is during the morning. If you go to Disney World in the summer when the temperatures are in the 90s, take a break in the afternoon and head to the waterparks or go back to the resort/hotel and spent time by the pool. Go back to the Disney World after 6pm and finish or re-ride your favorite rides. Then watch your fireworks at night. When we when during the off-peak season, the crowds were very small. Most rides had a wait time of 15 minutes or less. Since the park closed early every night, we stayed until we completed our favorite rides, enjoyed dinner at one our favorite restaurants in one of the hotels, and returned to the park to see the fireworks and SpectroMagic Parade (one...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 26, 2003

Walt Disney World Resort Magic Kingdom
Interstate 4 At U.S. Highway 192
Orlando, Florida

Disney's Hollywood Studios

Attraction | "Disney MGM Studios"

Disney's Hollywood Studios Photo, Orlando, Florida
This is Disney answer to an adult theme park. Most of Disney thrill rides are located at this park -- Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Star Tours. The shows are also mostly not for young children. Fastasmic was wonderful, as was Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Show, but the explosion will make any young child scream. If the weather is hot, a must is Voyage of the Little Mermaid. If you can make the first show, go then . . . if not, forgo the parade and go then because the line is the shortest then. If you want the best seat for Fastasmic, go at least 30-60 minutes early and stake your claim. Other rides to do early are Tower of Terror and Rock and Roller Coaster. Do not forget to take advantage of g...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 26, 2003

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Walt Disney World

Epcot World Showcase

Attraction | "Epcot - World Showcase"

Try and go counter clockwise and visit England, France, Canada (forgot the order). If you'd like to have some delicious ice cream, leave the park and go to Beach and Cream at the Beach Club. It is a short walk away. If you'd like to take a different way back, take the boat at the pier. It will take you back to the park. Continue on and go the USA, Japan, China, Mexico, and Norway. I might have left a couple out. As the time goes by and if it gets late, relax near Mexico and watch Illuminations. I think it's the best fireworks display that Disney has to offer.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 5, 2003