Abidjan Journals

Coming of age in Africa

A travel journal to Abidjan by Go Girl!

Abidjan Area Activities Photo, Abidjan, Côte dIvoire More Photos
Quote: Abidjan is a busteling, sometimes dangerous, always fascinating city -- full of culture, amazing food and a few Western luxuries. I lived in Abidjan for a year discovering the city slowly and neighborhing cities and countries as well.

Coming of age in Africa

My year in Abidjan was a real eye-opener. As a young, idealistic African-American woman I had rather unrealistic expectations. The largest highlight of the trip was shedding my romantic preconceived notions of 'Africa' and getting to know it for what it is -- a melting pot of cultures, fascinating history, and amazing art. I also enjoyed the beaches, the markets, and traveling into the bush. A real ADVENTURE! Quick Tips: During my year stay, I was robbed twice (once at gun point), so this is far from a totally safe place. I have never returned to Abidjan, and honestly probably never would. My journey served a purpose (personal growth primarily) and my traveling taste have changed. I'm ...Read More

Local food markets

Local food markets Photo, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
The open markets were the best places to eat. I loved them and ate there daily, huge meals for under $1. The most amazing fresh fish, plucked from the ocean that day. Shrimp the size of your hand, lobster -- you name it.

I stopped by nightly and bought a pepermint cup of tea from some Morrocan men. They didn't have an open air stand, instead it was reminded me of a fort. You had to kneel and duck to get into it, but it was cozy once in side. You can see in the photo

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 12, 2000

Local food markets
Abidjan

Lagoon Fishing

Lagoon Fishing Photo, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
Again, I'm not a fisher, but I went out with friends from time to time and they always seemed to catch tons of fish, and huge ones at that. My faint stomach couldn't deal with all the dying fish and after a few trips the novelty wore off. However, for fishers -- this place is amazing. Check out the photos, you'll see what I mean.

Lagoon Fishing

Canoeing in the Lagoons

Canoeing in the Lagoons Photo, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
To reach the beaches one must traverse the lagoon, then trek through the small grove of trees before arriving at the beach. Personally, I enjoyed canoeing the lagoons just as much as the beach. In the lagoons I felt so far away, it was so foreign from anything else I had known. A beach is a beach, and being from Southern California, I feel right at home on any beach in the world.

Canoeing in the Lagoons

Village celebrations

Village celebrations Photo, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
I ventured into the bush many times and visted many villages. If you get a chance, go outside of Abidjan and experience the real African way of life. (Not that there's one true 'African' way -- there are tons.) In Cote d'Ivoire alone there are 63 ethnic groups all with their own cultures, traditions and dialects. The picture below is from a small village in the north during a funeral celebration.

Village celebrations
The Bush outside of Abidjan

Abidjan Area Activities

Attraction | "Outside Abidjan"

Abidjan Area Activities Photo, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
A slow paced locals' spot where several families keep weekend get away homes (Actually they're more like huts.). Be careful of the bugs -- especially mosquitos -- they can be dreadful but don't let them stop you from enjoying the natural beauty of the beaches.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 12, 2000