Florence Journals

Florence -- the Paris of Italy

Best of IgoUgo

A December 1999 trip to Florence by Go Girl!

Hotel Villa Liberty Photo, Florence, Italy More Photos
Quote: I ventured to Florence for the first time for a Christmas get away (I left the day after x-mas). The city reminded me of Paris the instant I arrived. It's romantic, magical and breath-taking.

Florence -- the Paris of Italy

While I took in several of the tourist attractions I must say I enjoyed the restaurants the most. La Cucina Toscana is amazing and any local restaurant served up the best of dishes. I had an amazing experience while in Florence. I had a friend who was from Florence but we had fallen out of touch. Every cafe I passed, every building I walked by, I wondered if he were inside. On my third evening in Florence, wanting badly to experience the nightlife, I exited my hotel and a block away I ran into him. It was fate. He took me all around Florence. That evening we attended a restaurant opening, danced until 3 in the morning and visited a neighborhing town. So when I think of Florence, I thin...Read More

Hotel Villa Liberty

Hotel

Hotel Villa Liberty Photo, Florence, Italy
This charming house is out of town a bit, but still a nice walk into town or better yet just jump on a bus. It has an adorable little electric car that the owner will let you take into town if you're in a bind and really need to use it. The rooms have high ceilings, but are rather small. The breakfast was rather impressive -- included eggs, cheese, sausage, -- the works. I enjoyed the hotel, but I may try another place when I return. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't quite as charming as I had expected (but don't get me wrong, it was nice).

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 11, 2000

Hotel Villa Liberty
VIALE MICHELANGELO 40
Florence, Italy 50125
39-055-6810581

Trattoria Za Za

Trattoria Za Za Photo, Florence, Italy
This little restaurant came highly recommended, but it was rather crowded and noisy -- for a good reason: the food was amazing. The service, however, was far from perfect. It was so good though that I would return in a second!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 11, 2000

Trattoria Za Za
Piazza del Mercato Centrale, 26r
+39 (055) 215411

Borgo Antico

This amazing 'left bank' restaurant is simply said -- TO DIE FOR!!! Eventhough I was there in the winter, people were still sitting outside taking in the beautiful view of the church of Santo Spirito. The food was simply amazing. I can't recommend this place enough!!!!!

Borgo Antico
Piazza Santo Spirito, 6r
Florence, Italy 50125
+39 055210437

Piazza Santa Croce

Attraction | "Ice Skating in Plazza Saint Croce"

Piazza Santa Croce Photo, Florence, Italy
It was amazing, especially since it wasn't that cold outside. It was cool, but not freezing so it made it more enjoyable. Do watch out -- this seems to be a popular spot with the kids. They seem to rule this spot.

Piazza Santa Croce
Main Square

Florence Tour

Attraction | "All The Sights are worth seeing"

Florence Tour Photo, Florence, Italy
Let how much time you have determine how much of Florence's attractions you can see. While I usually prefer to relax and enjoy the spirit of a city, I also wanted to check out the major sights since this was my first trip to Florence. The Duomo is impressive and amazing, The Uffizi Gallery is everything I had been told, the Ponti Vecchio is old and a total tourist trap. I didn't spend a lot of time doing all the touristy things, but I'm glad I saw what I did. Traveling during Christmas was magical because I stumbled into many wonderful religious parades and ceremonies, (eventhough I had no idea of the religious or cultural significance of what I was witnessing - it was still magical). Noneth...Read More

Florence Tour

Attraction | "The Oltrarno"

Florence Tour Photo, Florence, Italy
'The other side of the Arno' -- Le Oltraarno, is often referred to as the city's left bank. It has long been the alternative location for artist and artisans for centuries, but escalating costs today are slowly changing the neighborhood's dynamics. The nightlife that revolves around the outdoor bars and restaurants of the tree-shaded Piazza Santa Spirito. If I lived in Florence, I'd want to live in this bohemian area.