Charleston Journals

Loving the Lodge

A July 2002 trip to Charleston by Paintballer

Quote: (In best Arnold voice) "I'll be back!"

Loving the Lodge

So historical. I just came for the relaxation and I am thinking, "Great, the wife is going to drag me to all these old places . . . boring!" By the end of the week, though, I was bummed that we missed so much, so we are going back.

Take the ghost tours. I don't believe in ghosts, but the stories are cool.

Walk.
Best Things Nearby:The market, the food.Best Things About the Resort:In the middle of everything. Building has history.Resort Experience:Words simply cant describe it. It is simply something you have to experience for yourself. We stayed in two different rooms. Most of the week, we were in a one-bedrooms with French doors overlooking the fountain. Later in the week we spent two nights in the loft. Each had their plusses, but we couldn't see a downside with either. Unit Type: 1 Bedroom Activities: Excellent Amenities: Excellent ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 7, 2003

Lodge Alley Inn
195 E Bay Street

Wild Wings

I absolutely love wings, and this is the place to go for wings. I tried the hottest, and the one two down from that, about 10 of each. Left a sweat puddle in the seat! Now that's how wings should be done!

Wild Wings
Broad Street

Charleston City Market

Attraction | "The Market"

Look, if you come to Charleston and don't go to the market, you're, well, for lack of a better word, a loser. This place was real neat. Of course, my wife was looking at one thing and I was looking at other stuff, but rest assured, there is something there for everyone.

Charleston City Market
Meeting Street To East Bay

Fort Sumter National Monument

Attraction | "Fort Sumter"

Great trip. My only complaint is that you don't have time for everything. One way around this would be to make sure you don't take the last tour of the day (oh no, I'm not speaking from experience, lol). If you come with one group, stay when they leave and leave with the next group -- that way, you should be able to see everything. Just make sure the "next group" isn't till the next day! Oh well, live and learn.

Fort Sumter National Monument
1214 Middle St
Sullivan's Island, South Carolina 29482
+1 843 883 3123

Dr. Harry Spectre's Ghost and Voodoo Walk

Attraction | "Dr.Harry Spectre's Gost & Voodoo Walk"

I would recommend this tour simply for the stories. These are great stories. Next day after taking the tour we looked in the market to find a book with a collection of these "Charleston Ghost" stories. They were extremely expensive for what you get, so we waited until we got home and bought one off eBay for about a quarter of the price in the market shop.

Dr. Harry Spectre's Ghost and Voodoo Walk
77 South Market Street

Folly Beach

Beach wasn't the greatest. Of course, I grew up in Southern California, so for a beach to impress, it needs to be good, really good. I did love the shops in the area. My wife and I rented some boogie boards and had a lot of fun. Across the street is a shop that rents the boogie boards. Say hi to the parrot out front for us.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 7, 2003

Folly Beach
State Hwy 174
Charleston, South Carolina

This was a real interesting place. This was the ONLY time all week that I wish we had the kids with us. I am not big into the nature thing, but still it was neat.

South Carolina Aquarium
100 Aquarium Wharf
(843) 720-1990

Imax theater

This was my first time in an Imax theatre. Pretty neat. I don't think I've ever seen 3-D either, that is something else. Go check it out.

Imax theater