St. Thomas Journals

St. Thomas - Island Paradise

A December 2002 trip to St. Thomas by fnwall

Quote: St. Thomas has it all -- beautiful beaches, sailing adventures, lots of activities, and duty free shopping.

Bluebeard's Castle

Hotel | "Bluebeards Castle"

Best Things Nearby:Downtown, shopping, havensite.Best Things About the Resort:Location, location, location. Bluebeard's Castle is located on top of a hill overlookng the city with the best view on the island.Resort Experience:Bluebeards Castle is a historic site located on top of Bluebeards's Hill overlooking the city of Charlotte Amalie and the cruise ship dock. It is composed of several buildings that surround a swimming pool deck overlooking the harbor of Charlotte Amalie. Each unit has a balcony, perfect for watching the sunrise and sunsets. I especially like watching the cruise ships arrive each morning. The units are small but adequate for two to ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 4, 2003

Bluebeard's Castle
P.O. Box 7480
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 00801
340/774-1600

Duffy's Love Shack

Duffy's Love Shack is a great place to grab a burger after getting off the ferry in Red Hook -- best burgers in town. It's located in the parking lot of the shopping center across the street from the Ferry Dock.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 4, 2003

Duffy's Love Shack
Route 32
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 00805
(340) 779-2080

Room with a View at Bluebeard's Castle

Restaurant | "Room with a View"

Room With a View is my favorite restaurant in St. Thomas. The restaurant has a full glass wall and the twinkling lights of Charlotte Amalie at night is a view not to be missed.

The chef prepares a fine meal, and so it’s hard to choose my favorite. The fettuccini Alfredo is great, I love the Greek pasta, and they always have fresh fish entrees -– I especially like the mahimahi. The dinners come with a fresh salad and warm bread. The meal size is large, but try to same some room for dessert. I especially like the bananas flambé.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 4, 2003

Room with a View at Bluebeard's Castle
1331 Estate Taamberg

Sea Food Jungle

This restaurant is way off the beaten track, but well worth the trip. This casual seaside restaurant offers some of the best food on the island. The owners, David and Katherine, will pamper you throughout the meal.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 4, 2003

Sea Food Jungle
Cabrita Point

Off the Hook

Off the Hook is located just next to the ferry dock in Red Hook. Try to get seating out on the pier so that you can watch the ferries arriving and leaving. The seafood here is excellent and fresh, thus the name, Off the Hook.

I had fresh salad to start and then an excellent grilled Wahoo with with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh veggies. The service was excellent and we especially enjoyed the view.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 20, 2003

Off the Hook
Route 32 (Red Hook Road)
Red Hook, St. Thomas 00802
+1 340 775 6350

New Horizons Daysails

Attraction | "New Horizons Day Sail"

I’ve been on many sailing trips but the New Horizons is still the best sailing trip around. The boat leaves at 9am from Sapphire Beach Marina. They have a Captain and two crew, who will wait on you hand and foot all day. You begin the day with Bloody Marys or Mimosas (or just juice or sodas if you want) and freshly-baked breakfast breads as you sail out over the ocean to your first snorkel spot. Generally, they will sail to a nice spot near St. John for your first snorkel. I bring my own gear, but they have snorkeling equipment available and if you need instruction, they’ll provide that as well. If you don’t swim, they’ll take the dingy out and give you an expedition to a nearby beach. ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 4, 2003

New Horizons Daysails
Route 38 (Smith Bay Road)
Smith Bay, St. Thomas 00802
+1 340 775 1171; +1

Cardow Jewelers

Attraction | "Cardow's"

Jewelry is still a bargain in St. Thomas and the best selection and prices in town can be found at Cardow's. The largest store is downtown and even if you are not in the market for jewelry, you will find browsing the endless aisles of jewelry an entertaining experience. The personnel are always helpful and friendly.

And Cardow’s stands by its jewelry. When I had a piece of black coral fall out of a ring that I bought there a couple of years ago, I took it back there, they fixed it, and then shipped it back to me in the States -– at no cost.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 5, 2003

Cardow Jewelers
1 Main St
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 00804
+1 340 776 1140: +1

Sapphire Beach Marina

Attraction | "Breakaway to the BVI"

During our November 2003 trip to Bluebeards we decided to try a new day speedboat trip to the BVI from Sapphire Marina-Breakaway Charter. The boat holds up to 25 people, but we only had about 12 on our trip. The Breakaway is a 55-foot speedboat that left the Marina around 8:30am. It takes around 90 minutes to speed out to Virgin Gorda and the Baths, where we were shuttled by taxi to the top of the baths. We hiked down to the baths and swam with the fish. Back up and we were off to Norman Island to snorkel the caves while our lunch order was called in to the Willie T, a schooner anchored off shore. We had hamburgers that were terrific. After lunch we were off to the Indians for some deep wa...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 15, 2004