San Antonio Journals

San Antonio - I can't wait to go back

An October 1999 trip to San Antonio by Tideone

Quote: It is hard to believe that it has been a year since we traveled to San Antonio. The sights and sounds of this beautiful city will stay with you long after you have returned home. I know my wife and I can't wait to visit here again.

San Antonio - I can't wait to go back

There are so many things to do in San Antonio and I have so many memorable moments from our trip that it is hard to pick out just one. However, I guess my most memorable moment would be taking the river cruise.

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio - Riverwalk

Hotel | "Drury Inn & Suites River Walk"

My wife and I became hooked on Drury Inns after staying in one in St. Louis and we were so glad to see that there was one in San Antonio. While it is located on the River Walk, it is on a quieter part, which makes it nice come bedtime. It is just a short distance to all the restaurants and attractions of the River Walk and downtown San Antonio. One thing we like about the Drury is their commitment to renovate old buildings into their hotels. In San Antonio, they renovated the Texas Power and Light building. Having some of the most resonable rates for a hotel on the River Walk, the hotel was booked when we were there so I am glad I made my reservations several months in advance. A...Read More

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio - Riverwalk
201 North St. Marys St
210-212-5200

We ate our first meal (lunch) in San Antonio here and we liked it so much that we brought our son back to eat here on his day of liberty from basic training at Lackland Air Force Base.

There are both outside and inside dining areas but we opted for the outside dining area both times. If you have a hard time eating with people constantly going by your table you might want to consider dining on the inside.

Both times we ate here our meals were outstanding although the service was a little slow.

Bayous Riverside Restaurant
517 North Presa Street
San Antonio, Texas 78205

The first thing I noticed about the Alamo is how small it is. It looked much larger in the movie. But despite it's size this is a must visit place during your visit to San Antonio. The Alamo became the most famous spot in all of Texas when 189 men died defending it on March 6, 1836. The museum contains artifacts from the Republic of Texas and there is a very good narration on the fall of the Alamo.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 11, 2000

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero)
300 Alamo Plaza

El Mercado-Market Square

Attraction | "Market Square"

This market is patterened after an authentic Mexican market and the shops offer merchandise of all types but primarily Mexican items. The market is also the scene of many festivals during the year and all the tour buses make a stop at the Market.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 11, 2000

El Mercado-Market Square
514 West Commerce Street
San Antonio, Texas 78207

San Antonio Riverwalk

Attraction | "River Walk"

The most popular attraction in San Antonio next to the Alamo is the River Walk or as they say in Spanish, Paseo Del Rio.

In order to get your bearings the first thing I suggest is to take a river cruise. The narrated tour is a great way to find out where everything is located.

There are many shops, restaurants and hotels located along the river. There is also a rather large size mall, which includes an IMAX theater.

The early morning is the best time to walk along the river while at night the river gets rather crowded and noisy.

San Antonio Riverwalk