Tampa Journals

Sunbaked Tarpon Springs

An October 2000 trip to Tampa by Brian

Quote: My girlfriend's family reunion was our reason for traveling to Tarpon Springs. Although not the most exciting place I've ever been, it is very quiet, and there are beaches in the area.

Sunbaked Tarpon Springs

The beaches were uncrowded and the water was the perfect temperature. The Tampa Aquarium was pretty nice, but not the best I've seen.

Sprawling suburbs make this an area where an automobile is an absolute necessity.

Countryside Country Club

My girlfriend's final family reunion dinner was held here, and overall it was pretty nice. We are both vegan, so they made special meals for us, that were not very good. The other, standard choices looked good though, but I've no way of knowing really. The service could have been better, the staff seemed to be a little overwhelmed. Maybe they're not used to serving a party so large as ours, sixty or so people, all at once. The dining room was pleasant, a large ceiling to floor window provided a great view of the golf course. There was a group off in the distance flying model rockets, which was entertaining to watch.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on October 11, 2000

Countryside Country Club
3001 Countryside Blvd
Tampa, Florida 33761

The Florida Aquarium

One of the highlights of our vacation to Tarpon Springs was taking a trip to the Florida Aquarium, about an hour away. It is a little pricey, $12.00 for adults along with the $4.00 for parking. The exhibits are arranged along a gradual spiral, so you can start at the top and work your way down to the bottom without missing anything. When you first walk in there is a small pool where you can actually touch small nurse, and tiger sharks as they swim by. There is a large wetlands display adjacent to this area incorporating natural sunlight from the glass walls and roof of the building, allowing trees and other vegetation to flourish. All the animals contained in the habitats are uncovered, and could ...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 10, 2000

The Florida Aquarium
701 Channelside Dr.
Tampa, Florida 33602

Howard Beach

Story/Tip

The beach that we frequented on our vacation was small and peaceful. It is situated out in the bay, and is connected by a two lane road about 100 yards out. The majority of the people using this state park were elderly, and it wasn't very crowded. The temperature was in the high 90s and one complaint I had was the lack of shade from the sun. There are a few palm trees, but the only true escape from the heat was getting in the water. We bought some cheap snorkels and masks to try out, but the water was too murky to see very deep. There was also large crops of slimy seaweed growing about four feet deep, which was difficult to avoid. All in all, I enjoyed this place.