Las Vegas Journals

Vegas Baby - It's All Good!

A June 2003 trip to Las Vegas by LWagBeth

Quote: Fifteen hours of sleep in four days isn't quite enough for us forty-something folks, but you don't want to waste a minute sleeping. There is simply too much to do, too much to see, and too much to amuse yourself.

Vegas Baby - It's All Good!

There are no BEST things because whatever you do in Vegas is a good thing. We played all night, rested poolside during the mornings, and then wandered the city taking in the amazing locations during the afternoons and early evenings. We aren't much in terms of gamblers so we threw a few random coins in the slots and video poker machines along the way but it was certainly fun to watch others go at it. My favorite was watching the table games. I spent a lengthy time watching a craps game just trying to understand the different bets being thrown down. It was also amazing just to spend time checking out the architecture and decor of each of the major resorts/casinos on the strip. The details are marve...Read More

Bally's Las Vegas

Hotel | "Bally’s"

We were there over a weekend, but if you can go midweek you can get rooms for a steal. Bally's has a perfect location - midway down the strip. We were able to walk the long blocks in any direction to explore as much as we could in the time we had available. The pool fully met my high expectations. It was large with lots of chairs and excellent service with drinks and snacks that we could sign for to add to our room bill. Others in our group said the buffet there was excellent but we chose to eat in other locations to get more spectating in. Bally's is a sister resort to Paris, Caesars, and the Flamingo so you could charge in those locations also. This made it very convenient. There are also walkway...Read More

Bally's Las Vegas
3645 Las Vegas Blvd

Spice Market Buffet

Restaurant | "Aladdin Buffet"

The food was excellent, especially the desserts. Try the crepes! The variety of food choices was outstanding. They had selections in such areas as seafood, Middle Eastern, Mexican, Italian, American, Oriental, and plenty of salads and vegetables with interesting flavors. The only problem was the need to try a little of everything and walking away feeling way too full! $19.95 sounds pricey for a Vegas meal but it was worth it. The food was truly tasty - not like most buffets that leave things a little bland or common.

Spice Market Buffet
3667 Las Vegas Blvd S
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

We walked in with a huge group of folks in outlandish outfits for our Cheezy Vegas Bowling Party and the didn't even bat an eye. They seated us quickly, they fed us well, and they treated us kindly. They start with warm chips and a variety of bean dip, salsa and guacamole that were all excellent. I could have forgone dinner but kept eating. The food and drinks were plentiful in portion size and the serve was excellent. The Orleans is out of the way but we were there for a specific reason and was glad because it was one of the best (and cheapest) large meals we had.

Don Miquel's in the Orleans
4500 W Tropicana Avenue

Sidewalk Cafe

Restaurant | "Sidewalk Cafe in Paris"

We wandered over for breakfast and had the flakiest and lightest croissants I've ever tasted. They had an extraordinary selection of pastries and I simply couldn't choose between them so went with the basic and was glad. The coffee was excellent and the location was so pleasant. We sat and had a quiet breakfast and watched people pass. Some of them were starting their day and others seemed to still be finishing from the night before. It made for a great start to another day in Vegas where you can see most anything!

Sidewalk Cafe
3645 Las Vegas Blvd. S.

Barbary Coast Hotel & Casino

Restaurant | "Barbary Coast "

Nothing like ending the evening at 4am with a plateful of bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast, and juice, but it's even better when you can do it for $2.95! We decided to keep our strength and stamina up (and to ward off the effects of the liquid consumption) we needed to go to bed fueled up. The convenience of the Barbary Coast right next door was one draw but finding the cheapest breakfast I've had in 20 years brought us back each night (or should I say morning?).

Barbary Coast Hotel & Casino
3595 Las Vegas Blvd S

Studio 54

Although I was too old to be in a club, this one brought back memories from the 70s. Great music, great dancers, and the decor was fun to see. Drinks were pricey but since I didn't have to pay a cover charge (yes, it's a rip for the guys) I didn't mind. Plus we're in Vegas to blow money, right? The dance floor was small but no one seemed to mind the body to body experience.

Studio 54
3799 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 891 1111; +1

VooDoo Rooftop Nightclub at Rio

Attraction | "The Voodoo Lounge"

This is an absolutely must see location. It has the best view of the strip by night. It is on the 52nd floor of the Rio. First take time to visit the Parade in the Sky in the casino and watch the revelry as the beads are thrown down, then take the elevator up for some quiet time on top of the world. There is live music inside and the singer was excellent, but I preferred just to hang around outside and enjoy the night air and the view of the lights. Vegas is truly an amazing place - one of a kind!

VooDoo Rooftop Nightclub at Rio
3700 W Flamingo Rd.

Bellagio Fountains

Attraction | "Fountains of Bellagio"

There is something so mesmerizing at watching these fountains synchronized to the music. Even if you see it during the day, you need to catch it again at night with the lights. The music changes so you don't feel like you are watching the same thing over and over. Watching fountains sounds silly but it was really amazing, plus it kills a little time where you aren't throwing money away on something.

Bellagio Fountains
3600 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, Nevada

Okay, okay - I know you are thinking, you went to Las Vegas and went bowling??? But we have this annual themed bowling party including dressing up in ridiculous fashion with prizes awarded and what a perfect place for us to have it. No one seems to notice that we are ridiculous, but it is a great laugh. Remember, you can see absolutely anything is Las Vegas. The bowling center is huge, drinks are cheap, and the staff is very friendly. It was a very fun break from the grind of gambling and clubbing.

Orleans Bowling Center
Orleans Casino / 4500 West Tropicana Blvd

Different Strokes

Story/Tip

I have now made three trips to Las Vegas and each one has been an adventure. The first time was nearly twenty years ago and my husband and I as young things made the trip. We gambled and ate and drank our fill and went home tired. That part of the adventure hasn't changed a bit. He and I went back with another couple 5 years ago to celebrate our 20th anniversary. While we were there we got "re-married" by the Elvis impersonator in the tackiest white-and-blue neon chapel you have ever seen. It is a very special memory. I still laugh out loud just thinking about the part of the vows where my guy had to tell me I was his "hunk-a-hunk-a burnin' love." Aside from laughing, we spent a great deal of time ta...Read More