Cancun Journals

Two fun weeks in Cancun

A June 1998 trip to Cancun by Kelly A

Quote: I can't recommend Cancun highly enough - for families, groups of friends, and couples of all ages. There is something for everyone - beautiful uncrowded beaches, brilliant night life and restaurants, great daytime activities, fabulous shops where the shop keepers make you feel welcome, and an amazing local culture!

Two fun weeks in Cancun

We hired an 18 foot sailing yacht, complete with our own skipper, for the day from a local American resident who had been living in Cancun for 18 years. o earn money for his own sailing trips he would loan his private yacht to tourists - we met him one morning while walking along the beach and he simply started the conversation by saying "Do you like my yacht?". It cost each (there were six of us) and worth every penny. We had the entire day to go where we wanted, snorkel for as long as we wanted, and we even went to the guy's private yacht club where we had a lobster lunch for ! To this day it is one of my most memorable holiday experiences, and to think I had to be pursuaded by my friends to go on...Read More
The rooms were a good size, and kitted-out nicely. There is a good choice of restaurants, including the main restaurant where the food changes every day, and also the superb Chinese restaurant down on the beach. They also serve themed meals in the courtyard and another area of the hotel - so plenty of choice.

The pool/beachside bar is perfect with its swings. The nighttime entertainment was really fun and my friends and I had a brilliant two-week holiday. As an adult only hotel, it was, I have to say, really relaxing - everyone was so chilled out! ut now I can't go as I have a young family - such a shame!

Blue Bay Getaway and Spa Cancun All Inclusive
Blvd Kukulkan Km. 3 5 Zona.
Cancun, Mexico 77500
+52 (998) 848-7900

Rainforest Cafe

Rainforest Cafe in Cancun is quite large. It's a fun place to eat out, especially if you have kids. We didn't, and went with friends but it was still great fun. The food is superb.

Rainforest Cafe
Km 95 Blvd. Kukulkan Lotes, 10y local B-11
Cancun, Mexico
011-529-881-8181

Following our success with the private yacht hire, we decided to arrange our own scuba diving trip with a local school. I can't remember the name of the school, but they had old equipment - my mask strap was on the verge of snapping and my tank was rusty! We had two divers take six of us down 30 feet - only two of us had dived once before. At one point the two divers left four of my inexperienced friends 30 feet below while they escorted me and another friend to the top. I was feeling too nervous to enjoy the experience, which is a shame because it is a beautiful reef from what I remember. I would recommend organizing scuba diving through the resort or a reputable school.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on June 11, 2003

Private yacht hire

We hired an 18 foot sailing yacht, complete with our own skipper, for the day from a local American resident who had been living in Cancun for 18 years. To earn money for his own sailing trips he would loan his private yacht to tourists - we met him one morning while walking along the beach and he simply started the conversation by saying "Do you like my yacht?". It cost $50 each (there were six of us) and worth every penny. We had the entire day to go where we wanted, snorkel for as long as we wanted and we even went to the guy's private yacht club where we had a lobster lunch for $10! To this day it is one of my most memorable holiday experiences, and to think I had to be pursuaded by my friends to ...Read More