Cairo Journals

Egypt on a shoe string

A travel journal to Cairo by African Explorer

Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu) Photo, Cairo, Egypt More Photos
Quote: Cairo Egypt is must for any Adventure traveler. No where on earth can you walk streets that have been around for 2000 years or stroll through markets lines with fine linens, wild animals, food and beautiful hand made artifacts. Friendly people, wonderful culture, go to Egypt.

Egypt on a shoe string

Every time I visit Egypt I find something different and exciting. My first trip in 1996, the pyramids and Cairo museum fascinated me. My second trip, I spent many hours touring the back street markets purchasing artifacts and trying to fit in with the local people and learn their culture. I met many friends who I keep in touch with today and stay with in Cairo. My third trip, I stayed with the locals, ate with the locals, and was fortunate enough to experience everyday life as an Egyptian. Quick Tips: Of course the main reason most people go to Cairo is the pyramids. I suggest either hiring a taxi driver as a guide or going with a small group to the pyramids, not for danger reasons but the ...Read More
This was the first hotel I stayed in visiting Cairo. I loved it and on my second night was invited to a local wedding at the hotel. What a blast! Later I found out that this was the actual hotel that Henry Stanley stayed in after the Livingstone expedition and wrote part of his book 'How I found Livingstone'. Oh, I almost forgot! Don't buy souvenirs from the hotel gift shop. They are very overpriced.

Shephards Hotel
Shephards
355 38 00

The Movenpick Hotel is the place that Egypt Air will place you during long layovers, it's close to the airport and very nice. They have a wonderful buffet that is included in the room price. There is an exchange bank at the Hotel as well as many tours throughout the city leave from here. If you are just wanting a quick trip to Cairo stay at the Movenpick and organize your daily trips from there. They also have free shuttles into the market areas and airport.

Movenpick Pyramids
Alexandria Desert Road
385 2555

Al-Sakia

Restaurant | "Al-Sakia (fast food)"

Al-Sakia is a local fast food restaurant that served local Egyptian foods. I will go through my list of local Egyptian food restaurants and list all of them.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 5, 2000

Al-Sakia
189, Hegaz St, Heliopolis
(+202) 240.60.12

Aly Hassan El Hati

Aly hassan El Hati is a local restaurant that served Egyptian-style foods. I will go through my list of local Egyptian food restaurants and list all of them.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 5, 2000

Aly Hassan El Hati
8A July 26th Street
(+202) 391.88.29

The Pharaonic Village is a small amusement park style boat ride that takes you through the history of Egypt. It's a must for people with children because you ride around on slow boat and people reenact early life along the Nile. They also have a restaurant where you can eat traditional Egyptian foods. The brochure that I kept states 'Historical spectacle reflecting the style of life of ancient Egyptians. Visitors witness the daily activities of the ancient Egyptian people. The Village also contains a papyrus museum. The visit lasts two hours.'

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on October 5, 2000

The Pharaonic Village
3 El Bahr El Aazam Street
+20 2 571 8675

Egyptian Museum

Attraction | "Cairo Museum"

Egyptian Museum Photo, Cairo, Egypt
Just in front of these you will find an Object of the Month on display. Behind it are some of the most important items from the time of the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt some 5,000 years ago, including the famous slate palette of king Narmer - one of the first documents of Egyptian history. Also on show are small masterpieces of sculpture - keep in mind that these are some 50 centuries old. This is an area that should not be missed! Continuing around the building in a clockwise direction takes you forward in time as you duck into the different rooms. At the far end of the building you will be confronted by material from the time of the heretic pharaoh, Akhenaten. Keep moving a...Read More

Egyptian Museum
Tahrir Square
+20 (2) 579 6974

Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu)

Attraction | "Pyramids"

Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu) Photo, Cairo, Egypt
Well here I go complaining! The pyramids are probably the most wonderful historical artifacts in the world. WHY DO WE FEEL WE HAVE TO MODERNIZE THEM? My first trip to Cairo it was a step back into time to see the pyramids. They even allowed people to climb them (which I don't necessarily agree with) and go into them and explore. It was great! My second visit to Cairo, the pyramids had what the called a 'Sound and Light Show' described in the brochure as 'In an enchanting atmosphere, with sound, light, and music, the show captivates audiences and makes re-live ancient times, the history of the Pyramids and the glory of the Pharaohs. The show is presented in seven languages: Arabic, English, Fren...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 5, 2000

Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu)
Giza Pyramids Plateau