Botswana Journals

Scary night in the African bush

A travel journal to Botswana by African Explorer

camp1 Photo, Botswana, Africa More Photos
Quote: Botswana is one of my favorite African countries, I have traveled there many times and have crossed the country overland in all directions. The people are friendly and the wildlife abundant.

Scary night in the African bush

The worst experience I have ever had while traveling took place in Botswana, it was a scary night in the bush while exploring the Limpopo area. I will go into more detail in the free form.

Botswana has a wonderful range of climate from the Kalahari Desert to the northern wet region.

Land rover or 4x4 is the best transportation in Botswana. I have seen people hitchhike however I don’t think it is very safe. You can rent a car in South Africa and have no problems driving it over the border into Botswana.

Chobe Safari Lodge

Hotel | "Chobe Game Lodge"

Within the Chobe National Park the Chobe Game Lodge is the nicest place to stay. The rooms are clean and staff friendly. They also have a nice restaurant. There is a cost with getting into the Chobe National Park.

Chobe Safari Lodge
Border of Chobe National Park
Kasane, Botswana
(267) 625 0 336

Riley's Hotel, located on the banks of the slow-drifting Thamalakane River, near the edge of paradise. This is the height of unexpected comfort. My favorite aspect of Riley's is that it was one of the first establishments in this area of Botswana during the turn of the century.

Celebrity Resorts Steamboat Springs Hilltop
1000 High Point Drive
Steamboat Springs, Colorado 80477
407.996.3063

Jack's Camp

Hotel | "Jacks Camp"

Set amongst glades of palms and under shady acacias, large classically proportioned tents are positioned for maximum privacy and perfect views. You can also pitch your own tent.

Jack's Camp
P. O. Box 173
Makgadikgadi Pans National Park, Botswana

This is not an adventure for the faint of heart...The roads are rough and the search for these nomadic tribes can be difficult, however if you can find the elusive bushman tribes, they will usually welcome you and allow you to enjoy their culture and have the experience of a lifetime. My goal to study these tribes lead me on a chase throughout southern Botswana that I will gladly share with you on the condition that if you visit them, you treat them with respect and don't exploit them in any way. The best route I have found from Johannesburg is to take the N4 into Botswana at the Pioneer border gate. The border patrol officers here are very friendly and easygoing due to the lack of traffic at th...Read More
camp1 Photo, Botswana, Africa
6:00pm. Limpopo river Botswana. Today was an exciting day; we left early this morning from Johannesburg driving northwest to Gaborone. We followed a dirt road out of Gaborone heading northeast attempting to find a nice location along the Limpopo River for animal watching. After about two hours on the bumpy dirt track we arrived at a small native village. The natives stared at us quietly as we drove through their village. Heinrich (My friend from Johannesburg) told me to smile and act normal. After winding our way through huts and livestock we left the village heading due east towards the Limpopo. After thirty more minutes of driving we came to another small village. Again the people ran out ...Read More