Venice Journals

Venice - My favorite City in Europe

An October 2002 trip to Venice by AndrewL

Grand Canal Photo, Venice, Italy More Photos
Quote: Venice has to be my favorite city in Europe. It has a unique charm that you don’t experience any other place. It is quite unlike any other place in the world. Each time I go there I am awed by it.

Venice - My favorite City in Europe

Grand Canal Photo, Venice, Italy
This is my second trip Venice and I still find myself just as awed as after the first time. I hope to go back again in the near future. I could entertain myself for weeks just wandering through the streets and alleys. The city it is very unlike any other place in the world and significant time should be devoted to enjoying the architecture and ambiance of the city. Venice is a great place for shopping. Though many of the shops seem to be exactly like the one before it. There are still a number of small unique shops that offer original products made locally. A gondola ride is a must do on a trip to Venice. Though it a bit pricey, it is must to do at least once in your life. Also ...Read More

Hotel Ca Bauta

Hotel | "Ca' Bauta"

Hotel Ca Bauta Photo, Venice, Italy
Ca' Bauta is a very small but charming hotel. I believe there were only five rooms. It is tucked away on quiet side street and can be a challenge to find. From the outside it does not look like much. In fact you wouldn’t even know hotel was located there. However, inside it is quite magnificent. Both the lobby and the rooms are quite luxurious. The rooms are large and well furnished. Each one has its own unique style. ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 30, 2003

Hotel Ca Bauta
CASTELLO CALLE MUAZZO 6457
Venice, Italy 30122
0039-041-241-37-87

The Grand Canal

Attraction | "Gondola Ride"

The Grand Canal Photo, Venice, Italy
Though you don’t get any more touristy than a gondola ride in Venice, this is one experience should think twice about missing out on. There is nothing quite like a gondola ride. It just doesn’t get any more relaxing and romantic. A ride is not cheap though -- a ride on the Grand Canal can cost up to 100euros, though it is negotiable. You can save some money by taking a ride on one of the side canals instead of the Grand Canal or riding when it isn’t peak time. Despite this I would I recommend taking a ride just before sundown on the Grand Canal. This is the most the beautiful time and location for taking a tour.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 1, 2003

The Grand Canal
Through the Central Districts
Venice, Italy

Murano

Story/Tip

Murano is a short vaporetto ride accross the lagoon and is deserving of a visit if you have any interest in purchasing local made glass products. Though it seems as there is no short supply of glass shops in Venice, Murano is where you should go to purchase glass. Just about the entire island is devoted to glass. There are dozens and dozens of shops selling nothing but glass products of every type and covering wide price range. Skip the tours of the factories and simply take vaporetto to Murano and start hitting the shops. If you see something that interests, you shouldn't be afraid to bargain, especially for the high priced items.