London Journals

Solo Trip to Jolly Ol' England

A February 2003 trip to London by Whiterabbit79

Barkston Gardens Hotel Photo, London, England More Photos
Quote: This a narrative of places I visited while on my solo trip to London in February 2003. This trip was a six day/seven night vacation to London and a side trip to Greenwich.

Solo Trip to Jolly Ol' England

First pic Photo, London, England
Wow, everything was a highlight. Just making it there was a highlight. My first-ever snow while on the London Eye, boat trip to Greenwich, visit to Westminster Abbey, seeing Cirque du Soleil at Royal Albert Hall, the atmosphere . . . everything was a highlight. I think the biggest thing for me was the fact that I was doing this trip on my own...very big step.Quick Tips: #1: I went in February and a big tip would be to bring VERY warm clothing. It was about freezing every day. #2: For the Underground, pick up many copies of the tube map found inside the station...key piece of paper. #3: Remember to be cordial to everyone you meet, even if they may not be to you. Don't get stressed about...Read More

Barkston Gardens Hotel

Hotel | "Barkston Gardens"

Barkston Gardens Hotel Photo, London, England
My room was very small, but considering it was just me, it was no big deal. Comfortable bed, bathroom and shower in the room, desk, television, phone, and room service (for an additional cost).

Breakfast was included in the price of the room and it was very good. The service was okay.

The hotel is located two minutes from the Earl's Court tube station, which is a plus.

It's not the Ritz, but good for budget travelers.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 11, 2003

Barkston Gardens Hotel
34 44 BARKSTON GARDENS
44-207-373-7851

Cafe Harrods

This resturant is one of many that Harrods has inside its walls. Cafe Harrods is located in the kid section of the store and there are Disney movies going in every corner.

The food is normal fare (i.e. chicken sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, etc). The attendants were very helpful in every way. Very nice atmosphere, considering it was in the children's area . . . very fun.

Cafe Harrods
Brompton Road
020 7730 1234

Starbucks

Okay, I know that there are a ton of Starbucks in the U.S., but there are even more in the U.K. I am not complaining, mind you. They seem to be on every other corner, which can be good, depending on what time of year you visit London. For my February 2003 trip, I found Starbucks a good place to grab a hot cup of coffee and figure out where I wanted to go next.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 9, 2005

Starbucks
7-9 Leicester Square
London, England WC2H 7NA

City Cruises

City Cruises Photo, London, England
I found this cruise very worthwhile. Instead of taking the tube to Greenwich, which would have been faster, I chose to take this cruise because of the many great photo opportunities. I was able to get great shots of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, the Tower of London, London Bridge, the OXO tower, the Millennium Dome, and St. Paul's.

City Cruises
Westminster Pier/River Thames
London, England SW1A 2JR
+44 20 7930 9033

British Museum

British Museum Photo, London, England
This museum is grand yet inviting. I would highly suggest taking the Highlight Tour (£8 per adult) for an in-depth tour of the museum. Otherwise, it can be very confusing. Overall, the best museum I have been to.

British Museum
Great Russell Street
London, England WC1B 3DG
+44 (207) 7323 8299

The London Eye

Attraction | "London Eye"

The London Eye Photo, London, England
It looks like a Ferris wheel but it isn't. It rarely ever comes to a complete stop and moves so slowly that you don't realize that you are moving. Each capsule is able to hold up to 25 people, but on my trip I only had 9. Just an overall great thing to do.

The London Eye
South Bank of the River Thames
London, England SE1 9TA
+44 (870) 500 0600

Harrods

Harrods Photo, London, England
Why be in London without visiting the world famous Harrods? The clothing, the china, the food halls. The food halls are not to be missed. Another plus is to see the Egyptian escalators. A MUST SEE!!!

*I would love to have taken additional pictures, but they frown on photos being taken inside the building.

Harrods
87-135 Brompton Road
London, England SW1X 7XL
+44 (20) 7730 1234

Westminster Abbey

Westminster Abbey Photo, London, England
Unbelievable . . . astounding. What else can I say? A definite must-see, as is St. Paul's. I would suggest taking the Verger Guided Tour which costs about £6, but is well worth it.

Westminster Abbey
20 Dean's Yard
London, England SW1P 3PA
+44 (20) 7222 5152

London Trocadero

Attraction | "The Trocadero"

London Trocadero Photo, London, England
This place has a bit of everything for everyone. It's located just off Piccadilly Circus. I used it mainly for the internet service, but it's just a good place to go to get out the rush hour London traffic.

London Trocadero
Coventry Street
London, England W1D 7DH
+44 891 881100

Royal Albert Hall

Royal Albert Hall Photo, London, England
It is grand. It is historical. It is awe-inspiring. I was fortunate enough to see Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco at Royal Albert Hall.

I would suggest that if you are in London and are able to see anything at the Royal Albert, it would be a great experience.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 13, 2003

Royal Albert Hall
Kensington Gore
London, England SW7 2AP
+44 20 7589 8212

Leicester Square

Leicester Square Photo, London, England
I found that this is a great starting point for travelers. Located in the square are pubs, shops, movie theaters, and the all important theatre ticket booths. The best one to go to is located in the back of the square across from the West End movie complex & NatWest bank. They are open daily for same day theatre tickets. Also, from Leicester Square, you can walk to Covent Garden, Picadilli Circus, the River Thames, and Tralfgar Square...just to name a few.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 17, 2003

Leicester Square
Central London

Greenwich Park

Attraction | "Greenwich"

Greenwich Park Photo, London, England
Greenwich is about an hour boat ride from downtown London and is a great "day trip". The history of Greenwich is unimaginable. It holds the famous ship Cutty Sark, the Old Royal Naval College, the Painted Hall of the Old Royal Naval College, The Queen's House, and the Royal Observatory built by Christopher Wren.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 17, 2003

Greenwich Park
Blackheath Gate
London, England SE10 8QY
+44 20 8858 2608

Evans

Attraction | "Evans Ltd"

I love this place. After a day of shopping in grand stores like Marks & Spencer, H & M, Selfridges, etc., I found only one top--and then I found Evans Ltd. on Oxford Street. The clothing here was fashionable and not terribly expensive, and the staff were excellent. If you are plus-size, like I am, this is a store to visit.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 17, 2003

Evans
538-40 Oxford Street
London, England W1N 9HH
+44 20 7493 9992

HQ Hair

HQ Hair Photo, London, England
One of my main things to do while on vacation is to get a new hair style. I found this hair salon via internet and thought it was the best for the price. London is known for some of the top hair stylists in the world, which means their services comes with a price. I corresponded with the staff at HQ and they helped me all the way. When I left their salon I felt like a new person.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 17, 2003

HQ Hair
11 Old Dover Road
London, England SE3 7BT
020 8858 7092

Sainsbury's

Story/Tip

This is a large grocery-store chain in London. The one I used most frequently was located on Cromwell Road just a few blocks from the Earl's Court tube. For a budget traveler, this place was key. It had everything from a deli and fresh seafood (yes, even sushi) to a bakery, fresh produce, and even a Starbucks.