A short drive or train ride out of Geneva is the pretty little town of Vevey, believed to have been a settlement for thousands of years. The Romans developed the village on the shore of Lake Geneva at the junction of the roads from their cities at Avenches and Lausanne, leading homewards to Italy and, despite Barbarian invasions, the encampment continued beyond Roman times to become a fortified town in the Middle Ages. In 1257, it passed to the protection of the House of Savoy and then, in 1536, to the Bernese bailiffs. Late C17 saw Protestants settling there, seeking refuge from persecution, which contributed to the prosperity of the town.
The town was freed in 1798 from Bernese domination...Read More