Cusco Journals

An April 2003 trip to Cusco by DannyBoy7559

Inca Trail Photo, Cusco, Peru More Photos
Quote: In and around Cusco. Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Lake Titicaca. Lima.

Adventure in Peru

Cusco -- a city in the middle of nowhere at 3500m above sea level, bursting with life and full of backpackers. It was touristy without being tacky. Mama Africa Samba Bar (Cusco): a very cosmopolitan mix of locals, Americans and Europeans with dancing until the early hours. White-water rafting: Three-hour bus ride from Cusco. Two hours bombing down a mountain river at breakneck speed, paddling like maniacs to avoid becoming a bloody splatter on the rocks. It was fantastic! Macchu Picchu at 5am: just in time to see the sun rise over the snow-capped mountains and light up the ruined city like a stage show. It was magical.Quick Tips: Best Way To Get Around: Fl...Read More

Hospedaje Familiar Casa Grande

Hotel | "Hospedaje Familiar Casa Grande"

Cheap and chearful. Located 2 minutes walk from the main square. Shares street with an Irish pub, internet cafe, laundermat. Very friendly owners. Downstairs rooms a bit damp and with outside toliet but for 3 USD a night, I'm not complaining. Upstairs, a few dollars more expensive with ensuite bathroom. Beautiful coutyard with on-site travel agents.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 26, 2003

Hospedaje Familiar Casa Grande
Santa Catalina Ancha 353
264156

Hostal Victor-Airport Hostel

Hotel | "Hostal Residential Victor"

Perfect for one night stop-over in Lima. One of the few hostels near the international airport which meant I was able to fly in from Miami in the evening, get a comfortable good nights sleep then head out to Cusco first thing the next morning. If you arrange beforehand, 'Victor' will meet you at the airport and book onward air tickets at a good rate. Not the cheapest option if you are on tight budget. It cost me 38 US a night.

Hostal Victor-Airport Hostel
Manuel Mattos 325, Urb San Amadeo De Garagay
Lima, Peru
51 1-5694662

Conveniently located in the centre of Lima, 10 mins walk from the main square. A large hostel buzzing with backpackers, mainly Europeans under 30. Rooms with or without bath. My single room without toilet was 8 USD. Too hot for my liking and drunken gap-year idiots next door really got on my nerves!

Hostal Espana
Jiron Azangaro 105
4279196

Inca Trail

Inca Trail Photo, Cusco, Peru
We stumbled upon 'Tourbulance' by chance but it turned out that they gave us an excellent deal. I paid 150 USD for the 4 day Inca Trail trek (my companion got a 20 US reduction with his 3 years out-of-date student id card!). We discussed prices with others in our group and were amazed to find out that some had paid up to 100USD more than us.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 26, 2003

Inca Trail
Andes Mountains

Bar X

Attraction | "Bar X'ss"

A dark and smokey bar/disco in the corner of la Plaza de Armas. We were dragged into this place by a pair of cute chiquitas who were drumming up trade for the place in the main square.

The bar is nothing special but full of backpackers letting off steam and numerous gringo-hunting local ladies. One drunken Brit warned me that after taking one of said ladies back to his room, he awoke in the morning to find he had been relieved of all his money and valuables! And he was surprised!

Bar X
Plaza De Armas

Story/Tip

Peru was fantastic and rates as one of the best holidays ever. It took a whole day to get there via Miami, but that was an experience in itself. I saw all the Florida Keys and the whole of the city from the air and it looked fabulous. Unfortunately, all I saw on the ground was grumpy US Customs, Immigration and baggage check. Boring, especially as I was there for 5 hours! I arrived in Lima late that night and was met at the airport by the owner of Hostal Victor, who gave me a lift to the hotel. It was basic and located behind a salsa bar but I was so tired that I went straight to sleep. The next morning I caught...Read More