Key West Journals

So Many Bars..so little time

An April 2003 trip to Key West by cindyshea

Quote: Start with St. Thomas, add a helping of New Orleans, a dash of Cape Cod, mix well, and pour into a chilled and salted margarita glass. Enjoy.

Fogarty's

My husband and I ate lunch outside on the patio facing Duval Street. We each ordered an appetizer; Tex-Mex egg rolls for me, and Conch Fritters for him. He also ordered an Oyster Po-Boy. The portions were enormous. One appetizer would have been more than adequate for lunch. Everything was delicious and visually appetizing as well.

Frozen drinks were a nice accompaniment on a warm April day. Try the "pain in the ass" if you get a chance, it's a concoction of half rum runner and half strawbery daiquiri. Deee-licious. As an added bonus, I found a pearl in one of the oysters I was munching on!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 21, 2003

Fogarty's
227 Duval Street

Sloppy Joe's

A fun and friendly tourist trap. Lots of stuff to look at on the walls, lots of other tourists to chat with. Service is prompt and friendly. Food is available, although we didn't eat there. There is also a small merchandise section selling T-shirts and Sloppy Joe's gear. Ya gotta go just to say you've been there.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 24, 2003

Sloppy Joe's
201 Duval St

Fury Catamarans

Attraction | "Fury Catamaran Snorkel/Snuba"

The Fury is a large, modern catamaran. It is 65 feet long and includes two decent bathrooms and freshwater showers. My husband and I went out for a four hour trip that took us out to the reef for some snorkeling. On the way to the reef, the crew gives very thorough verbal instructions on using the snorkel equipment (provided) and also offers the passengers soft drinks or bottled water. Once at the snorkeling spot, the passengers can get into the water either by jumping off the side of the boat or by using the handy stairway that drops down into the water. Unfortunately, the water was pretty rough the first time we went, so visibility was poor. My husband went again a couple of days later whe...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 24, 2003