Hilton Head Journals

Spring Golf Warm Up

A March 2003 trip to Hilton Head by obhit3tee

Bloody Point Golf Course at Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina More Photos
Quote: This vacation was one of golf, golf & more golf. It was also to get away from the nasty, extended cold weather we had blasted at us in Ct this year. We decided to incorporate golf school into our spring "golf" vacation & it worked out great!!! One of our best vacations...

Spring Golf Warm Up

Daufuskie Island Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
Our highlights was playing golf at Bloody Point on Daufuskie Island. This was one of the courses we played through the golf school. The only way to get there is by ferry. We dropped our clubs off (just like checking in luggage for a plane flight) and then didn't see them again until we reached our intended golf course. The ferry ride is only 45 minutes and it's quite nice. Bloody Point golf course was in beautiful condition. We practically had the course to ourselves - and the rest of our class (all nine students plus two pros). We were told that the 18th tee/17th green area is the furthest point south in SC before reaching Georgia (as the crow flies - or in this case, it would have to swim)...Read More

Spinnaker Resorts at Waterside

Hotel | "Waterside by Spinnaker"

Spinnaker  Resorts at Waterside Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
Best Things Nearby: Coligny Plaza was easily accessible. It had a grocery store, small shops, and restaurants. There is also Shipyard Golf course right around the corner. You can play a round of golf for the cart fee and that's it. We were kind of concered about the cost of golf on Hilton Head, but at Shipyard & Port Royal you pay just the cart fees. Great deal! Best Things About the Resort: I enjoyed the size/comfort of the units. It was a nice roomy one bedroom unit w/kitchen, laundry in the unit, balcony, and bath with Jacuzzi tub. The tub came in handy due to aching muscles the first two days we played golf.Resort Experience:We were in...Read More

Spinnaker Resorts at Waterside
off Pope Avenue

Skillets

Great place for breakfast. Small and large/full breakfasts served up Southern style. Great food. You can eat inside or out. We ate here twice. Open for breakfast and lunch only.

Skillets
Coligny Plaza, suite 225

Aunt Chilada's Easy Street Cafe

Restaurant | "Aunt Chilada's"

I ate here the first night. I think it was 9pm when we left our room. Staff very friendly. Food good, not extraordinary, but good. Very convenient to the resort - right around the corner.

Aunt Chilada's Easy Street Cafe
69 Pope Avenue

Steamers Seafood Company

Restaurant | "Steamers"

We came here twice. The food is very good and is within walking distance to the resort. A lot of seafood but they also have beef, pasta, etc. Bartender is especially friendly - they don't have "flavored" coffees so he made me my own coffee with shot of khalua with chocolate whipped cream. It was excellent.

I had been here two or three years ago, it was a little warmer then so we had dinner outside, but not this time. Maybe on my next vacation to HHI.

Steamers Seafood Company
28 Coligny Plaza

Tony Roma's

Food was good - ribs, steak, etc. Family/casual atmosphere. We had just come back from Daufuskie Island and were starving. The restaurant we intended to go to was permanently shut down, so we just kept our eyes open as we drove. Staff very friendly.

Tony Roma's
840 William Hilton Parkway

Hofbrauhaus

When we go on vacation we always try to eat at different types of ethnic restaurants. German is a must on the list of restaurants to find. We both picked what seemed to be huge meals with all kinds of knockwurst, bratwurst, etc. I think our eyes were bigger than our bellies as we had lots of leftovers to snack on.

The staff was very pleasant. It was their 30th anniversary, so they seemed to be pushing one particular meal. We didn't get that one. Food was very good anyway.

Hofbrauhaus
Pope Avenue Executive Center
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29938

We played here as part of our golf school. Of the three days of school, this was the last day. Course was in really nice condition. Quite a few alligators and other wildlife. Very quiet on this course. The 18th tee area overlooks the water. Must take a ferry to get to the island.

Bloody Point Golf Course at Daufuskie Island Resort & Breathe Spa
421 Squire Pope Road
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29926

Shipyard Plantation

Shipyard Plantation Photo, Hilton Head, South Carolina
This was our first round of the year. Course was in ok condition. It had rained quite a bit the previous couple weeks, so the greens were somewhat washed out. Not bad on a whole. I wished we could have played it a little later in the season.

The cost for us was cart fee ($27) only due to owner/resort guest privileges.

Shipyard Plantation
578 William Hilton Pkwy
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
1-800-HILTON-HEAD

Golden Bear Golf Club

Attraction | "Golden Bear"

We played Golden Bear on our first day (afternoon) of golf school. We played here about two or three years ago. It was in MUCH better condition last time. The green were rather awful this time. I'm sure it was due to all the rain, but was disappointed anyway.

I would recommend it to anyone if it hasn't been really rainy when you play.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 12, 2003

Golden Bear Golf Club
72 Golden Bear Way
Hilton Head, South Carolina 29926

The course wasn't in bad condition considering all the rain they've had (better condition than the Golden Bear). I played here with the golf school. I had a really bad round and wish we could have come back another day. I do want to play here again as it seems like it is a really nice course.

Port Royal Golf Club