St. Maarten/St. Martin Journals

St.Martin or St. Maarten?

A May 2002 trip to St. Maarten/St. Martin by stimey

Quote: St. Martin is a wonderful island. One side is French and the other is Dutch with completely different holidays, customs, and attitudes. Try St. Martin, the best of both worlds!

St.Martin or St. Maarten?

St. Martin has a lot to offer, including scuba diving for my husband. I was more interested in the beach, which is fabulous! The food on the french side is fantastic. There's a marina in downtown Marigot with about 15 different restaurants. All are good, you can't miss. Also try Grand Case, the best of the best!

Remember that the french allow nude sunbathing, so don't go there if you're offended by that sort of thing. We had to go check it out! There's also casinos for your pleasure.

We rented a car for the week, which is the best way to see everything. You could walk to Philipsburg from our condo, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Best Things Nearby:Beach, just yards from your huge balcony! Restaurants and shopping are not too far in Philipsburg.Best Things About the Resort:All units (that I saw) were oceanfront with a wonderful balcony and view of the beach and ocean. Resort Experience:We loved this island. It's so different from all the others with it being half French and half Dutch. Most timeshares are on the Dutch side, and a trip to the other side is a must! The French restaurants are fabulous and the French waiters are actually friendly! There is scuba diving to the nearby island Saba. Unit Type: 2 Bedroom ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 27, 2004