Nags Head Journals

Nags Head Beach Fun

A March 2003 trip to Nags Head by RTprobst

Quote: Our awesome annual visit to Nags Head, NC. We enjoy the shopping, taffy, thrift stores, fish, beach, and activities!

Dunes South

Hotel

We had a three bedroom timeshare with two baths and a loft that sleeps up to 10 people and a deck that is within 100 feet of the ocean - you can also open up the blinds on two sliding glass doors in order to look at the ocean while being warmed by a fire. There is a washer dryer in the unit and two covered parking places. A grill is right next to the unit for barbecues. We love the units on the ocean and love the space and the cheap cost - many timeshares are available at this resort from Outer Banks Resort Rentals in Pirates Quay at milepost 11.

Te resort is four miles from the outlets and has an outdoor pool and tennis court, and allows pets with a $75 fee.

Dunes South
Milepost 21.5
252/441-4400

China King

We ate lunch - it is on the main road in Manteo just after entering Manteo and has a lunch buffet sign for $3.99. The lunch buffet is a budget buffet and has General Tso's chicken, Sesame Chicke,n and Triple delight along with egg rolls, crab wontons, donuts, fruit, jello, rice, and a couple of other dishes. It is all you can eat and lots of local people eat there, indicating that the food is safe.

A drink is $1.19 and the food and drinks are self-serve and all-you-can-eat and drink on/in the styrofoam plates/cups.

China King
309 Us Highway 64
Nags Head, North Carolina 27954

Western Sizzlin

We had not eaten there and do not think it is a great deal, but it is cheap if you are looking for a buffet and a place to take a large family for little money. Lunch is $6.99 for adults and 10 percent off of that for seniors, not including drink. We got water. I loved the deep fried fish and chicken breasts. The red sauce and white sauce were great. My wife was mad that she did not get the Friday special that included a drink and the potato, soup, salad, and dessert bar for $4.95 because she is not a big meat eater, so check their lunch specials for alternatives. In short, it is a very limited item buffet compared to national chain buffets like Golden Corral or Old...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 29, 2003

Western Sizzlin
Milepost 8 or so

Kitty Hawk Pizza

We had their lunch buffet because dining in the Nags Head area is so expensive. We did not like the fact that they were slow to refresh the salad bar and the pizza, but they refilled our drinks. It was $6.50 each including sodas prior to tip. The pizza was okay but we recommend Little Ceasars on the old beach road who has a large one topping for $5.99. Again this is a restaurant for those who live by a budget and not for those looking for exotic quality pizza.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 29, 2003

Kitty Hawk Pizza
Mile Post 8 or so
Nags Head, North Carolina

It is a blast to learn. I talked my wife into it even though she was afraid. We can tell you from the perspective of a husband and wife. In order to hanglide you have to be between 85 and 225lbs. I lost weight to make the cut and my wife easily made it weighing in at 115. The flight school is 35 minutes and you can't injure yourself because of the harness you are in that won't let you slam into the ground. March was perfect with 70 degree weather. We actually went flying on separate days because when I went the first day it was like a controlled freefall because the wind was so light and I am so heavy. My wife flew best because she was so light. The next day I flew like an eagle in ...Read More

Kitty Hawk Kites Hangliding