Memphis Journals

A Long Long Weekend in Memphis

A March 2003 trip to Memphis by Mchaela

Quote: My friend, Liz, and I took a four-day weekend trip to Memphis to visit friends, eat barbecue, and see pandas at the zoo. We were too early for the pandas, but we did a lot and heard some great blues.

A Long Long Weekend in Memphis

A must for Memphis, besides visiting Graceland, is a visit to Beale Street . . . the birthplace of the blues. Walking down Beale, you have a choice of the many artists performing in clubs and courtyards. Check out Barbara Blue at Silky O'Sullivan's from 6-8 Tuesday through Sunday. There's no cover and Barbara's throaty voice is a super way to start out an evening!

Public buses are few and taxis are very expensive. Your best bet is to rent a car to get you around the city. If you are staying for a short time, you can stay downtown and use the trolleys or just walk to get to most of the major sites. Use a bus service to get to the Elvis sites.

Super 8

Hotel

Taking advantage of my Super 8 VIP membership, I decided to reserve a room for my friend Liz and I at the Super 8 that was near my old apartment. There are a lot of hotels and restaurants in the area, so I thought it should be alright. I was given a total of $208 + tax for four nights stay. Not bad. After a hideous day of connections, delays, and losing my luggage, I was so ready to lay down and relax before heading out to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things I needed for the night. As soon as we arrived I had a bad feeling about the place. Nothing concrete, but the building gave me the creeps. It felt deserted and run down. Bravely, we walked into the lobby where a surly man sat behind the desk. Smi...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on March 26, 2003

Super 8
6015 Macon CV
Memphis, Tennessee 38134

La Quinta Inn and Suites Sycamore View

Hotel | "La Quinta Inn Memphis East"

After our terrible experience at the Super 8, Liz and I went across the street to the La Quinta Inn. I hadn't heard very good things about this small chain, but it looked almost new and very clean. Besides, the price was right. By this time, I was a wreck. It had been a long, hard day and I was totally exhausted. Liz said she would go in while I waited in the car. She would come and get me if they had a room and the price was right. She wasn't gone five minutes when she came back smiling and saying they had a room and the girl at the desk was very nice. I went inside the lobby with her and met Melba, the greatest desk clerk in the world! She heard our tale of woe about the Super 8 and said that she w...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 26, 2003

La Quinta Inn and Suites Sycamore View
6069 MACON COVE
Memphis, Tennessee 38134
901 381-0044

Memphis Zoo and Aquarium

Attraction | "The Memphis Zoo"

The Memphis Zoo isn't the largest zoo in the country, nor does it have the most animals, but is compact enough to enjoy in less than a day and is going to be only the fourth zoo in the US to have a permanent giant panda display. While that pandas haven't arrived yet (bummer!), the China display is ready for them. It is very impressive and is sure to be a hit. Once the panda do arrive, there will be a $3 per person fee to enter the China exhibit to pay for their care. Not only will the giant pandas have a beautiful home, but there will be other animals indiginous to China on display as well as cultural and historical displays and exhibits.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 26, 2003