Hallstatt Journals

Austria's Oldest Community

A January 1996 trip to Hallstatt by Judy Andreson

Quote: Believed to be Austria's oldest town and one of its most picturesque historical landmarks, Hallstatt is a place I will never forget.

Austria's Oldest Community

The town is situated at the base of Mount Hallstatt and on the shore of Hallstatter Lake. When we visited, in January, the town was devoid of tourists and we had the place practically to ourselves. That left us with plenty of room to wander around town, view the lake and take plenty of pictures.

Don't miss the 'bone house', ice caves, and salt mines.

Located about 47 miles east of Salzburg, you'll need a car to get there. Once there the entire town can be explored on foot.

Salt Mines

Since 1100 B.C. salt miners have been working to recover salt from the mines hacking away with wierd winged axes. Today the salt is dissolved and the brine is pumped out in long pipelines. You have to take a cable car from the village to get there. Once there you'll don white jumpsuits and hardhats for the tour.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 22, 2000

Salt Mines
Mount Hallstatt
Hallstatt, Austria

Dachstein Ice Caves

Just east of Hallstatt, in Obertraun a cable car takes you up Dachstein Mountain to the famous Dachstein ice caves. The caves are located about a 15-minute walk from the cable car station. Inside the caves you'll encouter cathedral-like inner chambers with incredible lighted ice formations. Brrrr!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 22, 2000

Dachstein Ice Caves
East of Hallstatt
Hallstatt, Austria

Where We Stayed

Story/Tip

At the moment I don't have my notes on the name of the place where we stayed. (I'll add this later) It was the only hotel open in town throughout the winter months. I recall the aged proprietress telling us the hotel had been owned by family members for over 200 years! Our room was a delight! There were two large windows overlooking the beautiful azure waters of the lake. Across the water was a huge castle. Pairs of swans swam past (did you know they mate for life?). The room was furnished with two twin beds pushed together to make one large bed. The beds had feather mattresses with down comforters to keep us cozy. The stately headboards of the bed were huge with lot...Read More

Sights We Encountered

Story/Tip

I truly loved this place and wished we could have stayed longer than one night. After a hearty breakfast at our hotel we set out on foot to explore the town. The streets in Hallstatt are so narrow you can barely maneuver a tiny car through them. In fact, buses let their passengers out at the edge of town because they are too large to pass through the narrow streets lined with close-knit buildings. The village sits on a very narrow ledge between the soaring mountains and the beautiful lake. The steep-roofed houses literally cling to the mountainside. Most of the multi-storied houses are painted white and have teeny wooden balconies. Walking along main street I passed a ...Read More