Minneapolis Journals

Shop til' you drop: Twin Cities style

A travel journal to Minneapolis by Mchaela

Quote: When the Mall of America was constructed in 1992, us natives were excited, but apprehensive. There is something slightly offensive, but alluring about this Temple of Greed. This is my offering to the shopping gods in this Home of the Shopping Mall.
Creepy! This is a very old hotel and it looks and smells like it. The prices are not justified! It reminds of the Bates Motel with all the stuffed dead animals that decorate the place. It is supposed to have a Native American theme, but I find it offensive. I'm not usually that big on political correctness, but this is ridiculous! We were staying there for a convention and I was wishing we hadn't. The pool was filthy and the place is such a maze that we thought we would never find our way out of the nightmare. A friend of mine even got little black bugs from his bed. Eeuwwww! My friends have come to call it the "Thunderchicken" and I would rather sleep on the streets than go there again. My advise...d...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on March 14, 2003

Thunderbird Hotel
2201 East 78th Street
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Southdale

Rather than wear out your feet trekking around the Mall of America, come here. This is it. The Original! The very first indoor shopping mall! It is not too surprising that it should begin here, in Minnesota, land of snow and below zero temps. I feel honored to have once worked at this, the original shopping mecca. This is where the locals go. About 15 years ago, the first major remodeling was done to the mall and it was expanded to now include a food court, an expanded Marshall Fields, and a 16 screen MegaStar Cinema. When I was planning my wedding I spent several days in Southdale. I went to Aveda and Victoria's Secret Body for my makeup, Things Remembered for grooms gifts, Bath & Body Wor...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 14, 2003

Southdale
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55401

Mall of America

What can be said about the Mall of America (MOA)? Besides being big, I mean. Besides the shopping, amusement park, and nightclubs, MOA is also a place for exercise as people come to walk the mile long circle during the winter. Leave your kids in Camp Snoopy as you shop the four anchor stores (Nordstroms, Bloomingdales, Macys, and Sears) and the hundreds of specialty stores. Go to a movie or visit Underwater World and pet a shark! Eat at the fun and unusual Rainforest Cafe or Planet Hollywood. End your day by bowling at Jillian's Hi Life Lanes or enjoying the yuks at Knuckheads Comedy Club. You can see, do, and buy almost anything here. Why go anywhere else?

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 14, 2003

60 East Broadway
Bloomington, Minnesota 55425

Ltl Ditty's

What a great time! I had the great honor of planning my friend's bachelorette party and had heard how great this piano bar was. Each night they have dueling pianos. They put on a great show! Not only do they do requests, but they also made my friend's night great fun by bringing her up and having a group of men kneel around her a sing!

It has the atmosphere of a brick-walled jazz club with a lot of humor and great music. Entrance to America's Original Sports Bar gives you entrance to Ltl Dittys, Flashbaxx and Gator's as well. Each has a different atmosphere and music, but all are a great time!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 14, 2003