London Journals

London, my favorite destination in the world

A September 2000 trip to London by Kathy

Imperial War Museum London Photo, London, England More Photos
Quote: The first time I went to London was March 1997. I have been there 15 times since. I fell in love with London that first visit and never tire of going there. There is always something new to do every time you visit. With lots of plays to see, day trips to take and different museums how can you get bored. If you read the rest of the journal you will see what I mean, and there are many things in London that I have not seen yet. There are lots of things that I can do again and again, like Covent Garden , the London Eye and Tower of London.Also we take in plays whenever we can and get tickets at the 1/2 price booth at Leicester SQ. I always get on the www.londontown.com website and research the plays I want to see so that when we get to the booth I have an idea since often your 1st choice isnt available, this helps so you know what the plays are about, sometimes the smaller plays are the best. The tube is so easy to use it makes no matter where you stay easy to get around. I like to stay near Kensington area because there are lots of pubs and shops around that area. The last 4 times I stayed in the Earls Court area and I really like that area a lot. Also if you look there are much cheaper accomodations in this area than Kensington and Knightsbridge. Earls Court Road has so many restaurants. Italian, Thai and Indian to name a few and also some coffee and sandwich shops for those on the run or take back to the hotel. I have some journals on Cambridge, Bath and Greenwich that we did as day trips or an overnite all within a short train ride away. Please also see my London guide on pubs and street markets. Since I have so much information I thought I needed to do another journal. I really had to write more than 1 journal on London since there are so many things to do.

London, my favorite destination in the world

Trafalgar Square Photo, London, England
Tower of London is a real must see. St.Martin of the Fields Church. St. Pauls Church. I loved the WHEEL. See pictures please. Trafalgar Square of course and you can never get tired of see plays. I think the changing of the guard was a waste of time, but I guess people will always do that.Quick Tips: Hampton Court is a wonderful day trip. Cambridge is also a nice day trip or even overnight. Greenwich by train or boat is well worth it. People say how expensive London is but many of the museums are free. (they all have websites so check them out) We eat a lot in pubs you can get 2 pints and 2 dinners for under 20.00 pounds. Often getting lunch at a coffee shop where yo...Read More

Swiss House

Hotel

Swiss House Photo, London, England
Note this hotel has closed sometime in 2005 or so. I think I walked by the spot and it seems to be empty.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on September 20, 2000

Swiss House
Brompton Road

Harlingford Hotel

Hotel | "Harlingford"

Harlingford Hotel Photo, London, England
The rooms were pretty small and the bathroom was small also.The thing I liked about this hotel was the wonderful cooked breakfast they had. The staff was also very friendly. The neighborhood is Russell Sq. The Harlingford is about 5 min walk to the British Museum. There are a few pubs and small stores in the area also.

Harlingford Hotel
61-63 CARTWRIGHT GARDENS
0044-2073871551

also info@barkstongardens.co.uk I really like this hotel - the rooms are big and the bathrooms are also large for Europe, the location is ideal (a 2-minute walk from Earls Court tube), and there are lots of small shops around the area to get snacks, and beer and wine, etc. The staff is very friendly and helpful. If you get there early and the room isn't ready, they will hold bags, and there are restroom facilities to freshen up in. Also, a nice continental breakfast is included in the price and they have tea and coffee maker and hair dryer in the room. Most rooms are set up for two people, but they have a number of family rooms with two double beds and a fold-out couch, and the r...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 12, 2003

Barkston Gardens Hotel
34 44 BARKSTON GARDENS
44-207-373-7851

Yualousa

This is a Greek Restaurant in the Russell Sq/ British Museum area. Its open on Sunday also. We had a hard time finding a place open on Sunday in this area. The food was very good and you get a lot for your money as with most Greek restaurants. 2 of us ate with wine for 22.00 Pounds (about $35.00US

Yualousa
18 Woburn Street

Westminster Arms Pub

Restaurant | "Wesminster Arms"

Westminster Arms Pub Photo, London, England
I always like to go to Westminster Arms as they have the best Ploughmans Lunch (Cheese/bread/tomato/mincemeat). The one problem is that they close early on Sundays.

Westminster Arms Pub
9 Storeys Gate
London, England SW1P 3AT
(020) 7222 8520

Lamb and Flag

This is one of the oldest pubs in London. The problem is that it is very smoky. The food is pretty good and the beer selection is very good.

Lamb and Flag
33 Rose Street
London, England WC2E 9EB

Rat And Parrot

This isn't really an Indian restaurant although they have Indian food. They also have Ribs, burgers etc.

We ate at the one near Gloucester rd. and the food was very good.

They also a good selection of beers. There are a number of Rat and Parrots in the London area. Kensington, Covent Garden,Soho and Earl's Court to name a few. Look for the sign with a blue and yellow parrot and a little gray rat.

Rat And Parrot
250 Haverstock Hill
London, England NW3 2AE

Sticky Fingers

Sticky Fingers Photo, London, England
This restaurant is owned by Bill Wyman, the former bassist of the Stones, so if you are a Stones fan it's cool to look at all the stuff on the walls, kind of like a Hard Rock. But I think the food at Hard Rock is crummy and overpriced. The food here is great. We had ribs, and they fell off the bone as they were so tender. We also got large portions.
They have t-shirts, hats, glasses etc for sale. There are also other locations around England. We saw the one in Cambridge.

Sticky Fingers
1a Phillimore Gardens
London, England W8 7EG
+44 20 7938 5338

Cafe in the Crypt

Cafe in the Crypt Photo, London, England
This is cafeteria style. The food is wonderful. They have soup, sandwiches, quiche; desserts are good, also. They have a selection of beers and wines.

There is also a brass rubbing center in the basement along with a small gift shop. They have a market outside, but it''s not as good as other markets.

(Brass rubbing for those who don''t know -- they have a selection of "pictures" with the picture raised, for example a saint or boat or church. Then you take a piece of heavy construction paper and wax/metallic crayon and you rub the pictures and transfer it to the paper and take that home as a souvenir.

Cafe in the Crypt
The Crypt Of St. Martin In The Fields
London, England WC2N 4JF
+44 20 7839-4342

Camden Markets

Attraction | "Camden Locks"

Camden Markets Photo, London, England
I have been to this market 3 times and they have had different stuff every time. In September, it was Doc Marten heaven. Every store had Doc Marten shoes and the prices were very low, much lower than the big Doc Marten store at Covent Garden. They also had jean jackets, sweaters and tops, etc. was there in November 2 times, and it was sooo crowded. I really like this market. Also not to make fun of anyone but this is the place where all the orange and purple haired people with eyebrow and lip piercings are.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 20, 2000

Camden Markets
Camden High Street
Camden, London, England NW1

Covent Garden Photo, London, England
This is more of a tourist market with lots of free standing booths and lots of stores. Good for belts, wallets and leather jackets. I like the soap store 'LUSH' as you can smell it 2 stores away. I often find it crowded but then saw they have a branch at the airport and also on Regent street so now I skip the once at Covent Garden. The Doc Marten's store is 4 floors and is wonderful but see my review of Camden Locks for better prices (but not better selection). There are a lot of very good street performers here so keep some change handy. Lots of places to eat in the Market and surrounding areas. I like Camden Locks better if I am in a real shopping mood but still Cove...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 20, 2000

London, England WC2
+44 20 7836 9136

Imperial War Museum London

Attraction | "Imperial War Museum"

Imperial War Museum London Photo, London, England
This is a really wonderfull museum. Even if you are not into War. They have an extensive section on WWI and WWII and all the other wars also. IN 1998 THEY had a special exhibit on WWI for the 80th anniversary. IN 2000 they had a 60th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. They have some planes and tanks. A WWI trench experience and a WWII Blitz experience. The cafeteria is very good compared to most museum cafeterias.

NOW THIS MUSEUM IS FREE-AS OF 2001

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 28, 2000

Imperial War Museum London
Lambeth Road
London, England SE1 6HZ
+44 (20) 7416 5000

Winston Churchill's Britain at War Museum

Attraction | "Winston Churchhill's Britain at War"

Winston Churchill's Britain at War Museum Photo, London, England
Again "War is Hell" as you can see we have been to a few of the WWII places in London. This is the best one to skip if you don't have time although it doesn't take long and if you are in the area its worth it. There is an air raid shelter. Lots of audios of Churchill and pictures. See how the women pitched in during the war and lots of cool posters. All in all not half as good as Imperial War Museum.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 28, 2000

Winston Churchill's Britain at War Museum
64-66 Tooley Street
London, England SE1 2TF
+44 20 7403 3171

Regent Street Festival

Attraction | "Regent Street"

Regent Street Festival Photo, London, England
This is basically for the Christmas Season. Get off at Piccadilly. You really need to go there at night to see the lights. Stop at the Tower record store there- its open 'til 10 or midnight. We just enjoy walking around and looking at the sights.

Regent Street Festival
235-241 Regent Street
London, England W1R 7AJ
+44 207 491 4429

Greenwich Market

Greenwich Market Photo, London, England
This market isn't as good as Camden Locks or Portabello but still pretty good. They have a lot of different things. They do bargain a little if you ask.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 3, 2000

Greenwich Market
Greenwich High Road
Greenwich, London
020 7237 2001

Portobello Road Market

Attraction | "Portabello"

Portobello Road Market Photo, London, England
This is really like 4-5 markets in one. They have new stuff, old stuff (kind of crummy stuff) antiques and fruits and veggies. This is more if you are in the mood to look! If you want to shop go to Camden Locks.

Portobello Road Market
Portobello Road
London, England W11

St Paul's Cathedral

Attraction | "St. Pauls"

St Paul's Cathedral Photo, London, England
This is the church that Diana and Charles got married in. It is worth going to see. The whispering gallery 500 steps up is worth the effort. Supposedly you can be 100 ft away from someone and whisper, and they can still hear you. We tried it, but it didn't seem to work for us.

St Paul's Cathedral
The Chapter House
London, England EC4M 8AD
+44 (20 7) 236 4128

Cabinet War Rooms

Cabinet War Rooms Photo, London, England
This is for anyone who has any interest in WWII!! And even if you don't, this is a short, self-guided tour. About an hour. They give you headphones in your native language, and you follow the instructions through the rooms. This was Winston Churchill's underground bunker during the war. I liked the phone room and the map rooms best. The soldiers quarters are also interesting. It would seem that Churchhill had the biggest quarters.

Cabinet War Rooms
Clive Steps
London, England SW1A 2AQ
+44 20 7930 6961

The London Eye

Attraction | "The London Wheel"

The London Eye Photo, London, England
This was one of the highlights of my entire life!!! YES, it was fun. The wheel is 450 feet and takes 1/2 hour to ride, but it's worth it. When you look at it, it doesnt even seem to be moving because it's so slow. When you get to London you need to make a reservation for a time and pay for it at that time. Cost $12.00US for an adult. Seniors and children get a lower price. You have to get there 1/2 hr before your scheduled time and wait in line. Check the British Air website for times and information. I did it in September, and the hours went till 10PM. In the winter the wheel is in operation only until 6PM. You also need to remember that the sun sets at about 4:30PM in November an...Read More

The London Eye
South Bank of the River Thames
London, England SE1 9TA
+44 (870) 500 0600

Tower of London

Tower of London Photo, London, England
This is a must see for the 1st time visitor. Kids especially like it. The yeoman warders (the guides) are really great and cater to kids. I especially liked the crown jewels and the room they had all the shining armor in. The ravens are also interesting. Please look for the pictures in the St.Pauls section after I put them in I noticed they were in the wrong section.

Tower of London
Tower Hill
London, England EC3N 4AB
+44 (207) 709 0765

St Martin-in-the-Fields

Attraction | "St Martin of the Fields Church"

St Martin-in-the-Fields Photo, London, England
This is one of my favorite churches in the whole world. It's not big or fancy and that is why it's inviting. It feels like your home parish when you attend services there.

We go to London at least 3 times a year and always go to church there. See my review under dining for Cafe in the Crypt.

There is a market here on the side of the church but it is not to good. But take the time to visit the church.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 19, 2001

St Martin-in-the-Fields
Trafalgar Square
London, England WC2H 8LG
+44 20 7930 1862

Big Ben

Big Ben Photo, London, England
This is one of the things that you will see again and again the trademark sign of London.

No matter how many times I go to London I love to see Big Ben.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 19, 2001

Big Ben
Parliament Square
London, England SW1A 2NE

Harrods

Attraction | "Harrod's"

Harrods Photo, London, England
No pictures can be taken inside, due to security so I just have pictures from the outside.

Everyone has to go to Harrods at least once. Over the Christmas Holiday's the windows are decorated and they are really great. Different every year.

Go down to the food court. I like to buy some small candies and cookies and jelly in Harrods tins to give at Christmas.

The thing I don't like to having to pay 1 pound to use the restroom. I guess you need to go before you go into the store.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 20, 2001

Harrods
87-135 Brompton Road
London, England SW1X 7XL
+44 (20) 7730 1234

National Gallery

National Gallery Photo, London, England
I like the National Gallery because it has a selection of many artists. Impresionists and a litle bit of everything. The best thing about it is the gift shop. I buy a lot of Christmas gifts there. Calendars, books and things you can't get anywhere else.

Also it is free so if you are in the area and have only an hour or so, take the time and browse.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 11, 2000

National Gallery
Trafalgar Square
London, England WC2N 5DN
+44 (207) 747 2885

Millennium Bridge (London Millennium Footbridge)

Attraction | "Millennium Bridge"

Millennium Bridge (London Millennium Footbridge) Photo, London, England
The Millennium Bridge is located between St. Paul's and the Tate Modern and is worth the walk over. Make sure you bring your camera and come on a clear day if you can get one on your visit.

This bridge crosses between St. Paul's and the Tate Modern.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 13, 2003

Millennium Bridge (London Millennium Footbridge)
Riverside Near St Paul's On North Bank
London, England W1EC4
+44 20 7525 4925

Tate Modern

Tate Modern Photo, London, England
The architecture of the building is the most interesting part about this museum. The gift shop was good, and we had an expensive glass of wine in the 7th-floor restaurant. The view was worth that.

We only stayed here for about an hour, but since it was free, it was worth the time spent.

I didn't care that much for the art, although we breezed through the place.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on February 13, 2003