Bruges Journals

Fairy Tale Land

A June 1993 trip to Bruges by Colleen

Oud Huis Amsterdam Photo, Bruges, Belgium More Photos
Quote: A magical fairy tale land adorned with canals.

Fairy Tale Land

Bruges Photo, Bruges, Belgium
Brugge looks like a village from Grimm's fairy tales. It has historical buildings from the gothic and middle ages, colorful painted houses, canals and a lovely lake. But if you are expecting something like Venice you will be very disappointed because it is not even close to the enchanting atmosphere of Venice.

You don't need more than one full day here. Be sure to have a picnic along the 'Lake of Love.'

Walking, because cars are not allowed in most parts.
Oud Huis Amsterdam Photo, Bruges, Belgium
This gorgeous hotel sits along a canal and is a short walk to Brugge's main square. The rooms are big and well decorated with natural exposed beams, antiques and earthy linens. We were spoiled by our Jacuzzi tub and turn down service (with Belgium chocolates). There is a garden courtyard and a dark bar room. High tea and a good breakfast are included in the price of the room.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 18, 2000

Oud Huis Amsterdam
3 Spiegelrei
050 34-18-10

Den Gouden Meermin

A good place to eat in Grote Markt. We enjoyed eating outside and drinking the Belgium beer. My husband LOVED his rabbit stew and I picked at my whole fish, eye and all. I think I'll stick to the waffles and ice cream.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 18, 2000

Den Gouden Meermin
31 Market

Canal Boat Tours

Attraction | "Boat Tours"

These little tour boats take you around the canals of Brugge. The tour guide gives a little history about the town and about important sites. Be sure to wear sunscreen in the summer because you would be surprised what a wicked sunburn you could get in ½ hour.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 18, 2000

Canal Boat Tours

Waffles for Lunch

Story/Tip

This is the best place to indulge in the wonderful Belgium waffles. We treated ourselves to waffles and ice cream for lunch, at a café in the main square. They were really tasty, but we were hungry a hour later. Maybe it's better to have them for dessert.

Museums in Brugge

Story/Tip

There are a handful of museums in Brugge. From what I remember they are have a high priced admission and a low volume of paintings to show. I remember saying a lot, 'that's it, that's the whole museum?' But some of the Van Eyck's were very cool to see.