Rome Journals

All Roads lead to Rome - Rome, Georgia that is

A travel journal to Rome by Tideone

Quote: Just like its sister city in Italy, Rome Georgia is built on seven hills. This is a beautiful city with a lot of history. As a child I can remember passing through Rome on our yearly trips to Atlanta for my dad to attend a convention. I always told myself if I ever had the chance I would one day come back and spend a little more time. I did that last spring when my wife and I spent an afternoon, a night and a morning exploring the area and even that was not enough time to really see and do everything. But being close to home we have promised ourselves we will come back again some day.

All Roads lead to Rome - Rome, Georgia that is

My most memorable moment was sitting in the dining room of our bed and breakfast eating breakfast and listening to our hostess, Gwen, tell us about the ghosts that inhabit her house. I am glad she told me the stories that morning after I had already slept in the house, especially when she told about the one who inhabited the room my wife and I had slept in the night before. Quick Tips: By all means visit the city museum - it is well worth the hour or two you will spend here. Also try and spend the night with George and Gwen at the Claremont House. Gwen can also give you great suggestions for places to eat. One of the reasons I want to go back to Rome is because of all the good places to eat...Read More
This is a very charming Victorian Gothic house located just a short distance from the center of downtown Rome. The innkeepers, George and Gwen, are very nice and helpful on things to do in Rome and also on good places to eat. They are more than happy to give you a tour of the house with its 14 foot ceilings and built-in safe. Be sure and ask Gwen to hold the ghost stories for the next morning while you are eating breakfast instead of before you retire for bed.

Claremont House
906 East 2nd Avenue South West

Up the Creek Fish Camp & Grill

Restaurant | "Up the Creek Fish Camp & Southern Grill"

This was a fantastic place to eat. It caught our eye as we driving to the Rome Visitor's Center (located across the street). The building looks like an old fish camp and the decor is the same inside with old signs, fishing gear and even a flat bottom boat on the wall. But it was the food, which they call a "mouth-waterin mix of southern fryin', low country boilin' and a dash of Cajun spice - all served in a friendly relaxed atmosphere." There were so many things I wanted to try that I had a hard time making up my mind but I finally settled on the Up the Creek platter of oysters for $10.99, which came with fries, hushpuppies and slaw. Absolutely delicious. My wife opted for the shrimp...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 24, 2000

Up the Creek Fish Camp & Grill
Turner Mccall Boulevard
Rome, Georgia

This is the final resting place for many of Rome's leading citizens, including the wife of President Woodrow Wilson, Ellen Axson Wilson. With Rome being prone to flooding, this high spot was chosen in the 1850's. It was named Myrtle Hill after the planting of several hundred crape myrtles. Internments take place on six levels with a very narrow road winding its way to the top of the hill. There is also a mounument to Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, who saved the town from Yankee troops. This is also the final resting place for some 377 men from both the North and South who fought in the Civil War.

Myrtle Hill Cemetery
Myrtle Street

Capitoline Wolf

One of the most popular sights in Rome is the statue of Romulus and Remus that stands in front of the city hall. The statue was presented from ancient Rome to new Rome in ceremonies held in 1929. The statues have a long and colorful history, including one being kidnapped and having to be hidden during World War II.

Capitoline Wolf
Downtown - City Hall

Berry College: Oak Hill & Museum

Attraction | "Martha Berry Museum and Oak Hill Plantation"

Truly one of the most outstanding women in not only Georgia history, but also southern history, Martha Berry began at an early age to teach the less fortunate children in the surrounding areas of her family's home, Oak Hill Plantation. Today Oak Hill Plantation is part of Berry College, the largest college campus (in terms of acreage) in the United States.

Berry College: Oak Hill & Museum
24 Veterans Memorial HW
Rome, Georgia 30161

The people of Rome should be very proud of their museum. The history of Rome is told in chronological order with many fascinating exhibits. There is a section showing Rome as it mourned the death of first lady Ellen Axson Wilson, and there is even a cell block from the old jail.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 14, 2000