Chicago Journals

Chicago--great town

A December 2003 trip to Chicago by hoplight

Quote: I stayed at W Hotel and saw Halstead Street and gay nightlife.

W Chicago Lakeshore

Hotel | "W Chicago-Lakeshore"

My room was very comfortable and featured cool amenities like Aveda products in the bathroom and a water carafe next to my bed. However, don't stay here on a weekend. It's impossible to get through the door because there's a mob of people trying to get into the lobby bar or Whiskey Sky on the top floor. I literally had to push myself through the crowd and show my key to the doorman, who guided me through. It was crazy. There are so many other nice hotels in Chicago (not to mention another W hotel), I'd skip this one if you want peace and quiet. Also the hotel has no gift shop, which was annoying if you wanted to buy some cough medicine or something.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 26, 2003

W Chicago Lakeshore
644 N. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, Illinois 60611
312-943-9200

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile

Attraction | "Michigan Avenue/Oak Street - The Magnificent Mile"

I'm from New York, but Michigan Avenue/Oak Street is fairly impressive for shopping. Designer stores abound everywhere - Chanel, a very big Ralph Lauren store, Armani, Gucci, Malo, Saks, Neiman's, etc. There's also a huge Crate & Barrel store (Chicago is where they're based) and a North Face store (we don't have that in New York). Along Oak Street are some more designer boutiques and stores including Barneys, Prada, Loro Piana, Jil Sander, among others. At the end of the Mile, you're rewarded with a beautiful view of the Lake.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 26, 2003

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile
North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Sidetrack

Attraction | "Side Track"

The best bar in the gay district of Chicago. Lots of normal guys, and the bar is pretty big. Plus there's no cover. This is probably the most popular bar in the gay district of Chicago.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 26, 2003