Varadero Journals

Best beaches yet

A January 2003 trip to Varadero by Liken D Sun

Quote: My fourth trip to Cuba and my first to Varadero, these are the best beaches I have found anywhere. Far superior to Hawaii and the rest of the Caribbean.
This all-inclusive resort has standard rooms (like any hotel). The accommodations were clean, the bathroom had all of the facilities, and everything was satisfactory. The beach at the resort was phenomenal, the disco better than most, and the food was quite good.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 26, 2003

Coralia Playa de Oro
Main strip

Covey

Restaurant | "El Covey"

This little 'restaurant' consists of a patio and small covered hut on Varadero's main strip. It has a bar and is open 24-hours a day! The furniture, like most of what you find in Varadero, is plastic patio furniture, but don't let this fool you.

I had the fish which was extremely reasonably priced ($3 for the meal) and tasted quite good. My wife had the langusta (lobster) for $12 which included all the sides, dessert, etc.; it was grilled and tasted quite good. The guy next to us had a hamburger that was huge--a good 1/2- to 3/4-inch thick and about 4- to 6-inches across. He said it also tasted really good!

This place is definitely worth a visit!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 31, 2003

Covey
Main Strip on the Right

Dimar

One of the many local Cuban restaurants, this one is an outdoor patio with plastic furniture. I know it sounds tacky (and it is), but the food was really good and the prices really low. Those of us eating crab, fish, etc. spent about $2 each for dinner, plus those $0.85 beers . . . My wife and I had grilled langusta (Cuban lobster), which is almost all tail but is quite large. It cost us $10, but the lobster was big and verrryyy good--worth every penny. The menu was limited if you didn't like seafood, but if seafood is your thing then this place was great.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 26, 2003

Dimar
Around 32nd Street

Beach

Attraction | "Varadero Beach"

This beach is the best I have found anywhere in the world. It is beautiful fine white sand. The beach is wide and about 20km long. You can walk out quite a long ways (or just sit in the water), and there are no weeds, jellyfish, or stingrays. Occasionally you may see a couple of flying fish out a little ways. On the beach, each resort has a number of activities. At our resort, this included volleyball, water volleyball, dance lessons, aerobics, water aerobics, and I believe many more, although I didn't have time to do them all. If you are a beach person, this is for you. If you are a snorkeler, you would have to take one of the day trips off resort to the coral reefs.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 26, 2003

Beach
Main Strip In Varadero

Double Decker Bus

This double-decker bus runs a loop past all of the resorts and into the town of Varadero. For $2 a day, you can get on and off the bus as much as you would like. From the bus, you can see about 80% of the things you would like to do in Varadero. We found it very helpful for locating restaurants, hospitals, markets, stores, etc. I highly suggest taking this bus on the first day or two that you are in Varadero. All you have to do is look for a sign with the double-decker bus on it, and you can catch it when it comes (there's sometimes up to an hour wait, but you can always catch it going the other way and ride it around).

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 26, 2003