Las Vegas Journals

Try Your Luck in Las Vegas

An April 1999 trip to Las Vegas by dalefried

Quote: I visited Las Vegas four times, in March, April, May, and July. The last time was on business in March 2001. Even though it was for business, I had a great time. There are always new casinos, and the Strip changes for the better each time I visit.
We stayed at the Ramada Vacation Suites in April 1999. The RCI description is that the resort is one block from the Strip. In actuality, the lobby is one block away, but the units are another block away. Even though there is a lot of security, the surrounding neigborhood was definitely not good. As we walked to the Strip, there were guys hanging out in the parking lot. I don't think the entire area was part of the Ramada Vacation Suites at the time. Right across the street were hoodlums hanging out on their stoop! No one ever bothered us, but it was a concern. We had a two-bedroom unit with a full kitchen, dining area, small living room, small master bedroom, very tiny guest room, and two bathr...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 21, 2003

Ramada Vacation Suites
100 East Winnick Avenue

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino

Hotel | "Flamingo Hilton"

I stayed here on business in March 2001. My room was a nice size with a king-size bed. It had a balcony that faced the gorgeous pool. In the lobby, there were bird cages with cockatoos in them. I think the white one had a crush on me. He used to talk to me every morning when I visited. He would reach outside the cage and touch whatever I was holding. Unfortunately, on the last day, he grabbed my jacket! I tried to pull it away, but then he put it in his mouth and tried pulling it into his cage! If it wasn''t for a very nice English gentleman gently prodding the bird with a pen, my jacket would now be part of the bird''s nest! I have a little hole in the collar now. That was a nice souvenir! If you dec...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 21, 2003

Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel & Casino
3555 Las Vegas Blvd South
702-733-3111

Imperial Palace Las Vegas

Hotel | "Imperial Palace"

We stayed here on our first trip to Las Vegas in July 1992. The room was a nice size, with two queen-size beds. It had a balcony that faced the pool. We enjoyed the reasonably priced buffets and ate there quite often, even on subsequent trips.

The hotel is right in the middle of everything. It is across the street from Caesars, Flamingo Hilton, and Harrah's. It is right on the Strip. The only bad thing about this trip was that we weren't lucky in the casino!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 22, 2003

Imperial Palace Las Vegas
3535 Las Vegas Blvd. SO

Luxor Las Vegas

Hotel | "Luxor"

We stayed here in May, 1994. The rooms were very large and reasonably priced. We stayed on a Thursday night, which cost $80. The theme of the hotel is Egypt. The hotel is in the shape of a Pyramid. This hotel is so beautiful and the lobby is gorgeous. There were talking camels in the lobby. There was a moat with a barge in the lobby, and you could sail around in the lobby too.When you go up to your room, you don't use a traditional elevator because it doesn't go straight up. It is so weird - it goes up and to the side. It is called an "inclinator" because you are going up the pyramid! On the second floor is an entertainment facility with an IMAX movie theatre, a thrill ride, and a museum. The pool ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 28, 2003

Luxor Las Vegas
3900 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89119-1000
702-262-4444

Riviera Hotel & Casino

Hotel | "Riviera Casino Hotel"

This is one of the older hotels. It is located across the street from Circus Circus. My husband and I visited on Memorial Day weekend, when the Riviera was the only hotel that was available. The room was a nice size, but the amenities were old. There was a burgundy velvet bedspread and very old bathroom amenities. For some reason, my husband didn't like this place and didn't even want to gamble here. He actually won money in the casino, so I didn't understand, but he skeeved the whole place. Splash! is one of the shows that you can see here, which was very enjoyable. For budget reasons, this place was fine, but this definitely would not be my first choice.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 30, 2003

Riviera Hotel & Casino
2901 Las Vegas Blvd. S.
Las Vegas, Nevada 89101
702/794-9494

Carnival World Buffet

Restaurant | "Rio Hotel All-You-Can-Eat Buffet"

This restaurant is in the Rio Suites hotel, which is off the Strip, kind of behind Caesars Palace. The restaurant is 3 blocks long. It has so many food stations. I would say it serves international cuisine. It has Japanese hibachi, Chinese, Italian, seafood, Mongolian barbecue, American, and so much more. The food is excellent, too. I think dinner only cost $12.99. I ate here twice on one vacation, and once on my business trip in 2001. Forget about the Dessert Station, you would think that you died and went to heaven! Bring your appetite . . . you are going to need it.

Carnival World Buffet
3700 West Flamingo Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89103

Bellagio Buffet

This was a buffet in the beautiful Bellagio Hotel. I found this buffet to be expensive at $25.99. I ate here while on a business trip, and I still felt it was expensive even though the company picked up the tab.I guess I am not a gourmet. I didn't appreciate the food. I understand that the food was better quality than the Rio buffet, but I didn't care for it. My coworker has more refined taste, and she really enjoyed it. I didn't understand the fact that the salads were under lock and key and you had to ask the server for a portion, while the veal dishes and the fancy seafood dishes you could take for yourself. They didn't even have good desserts! I like anything chocolate, but they had fancy desse...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 21, 2003

Bellagio Buffet
3600 Las Vegas Blvd S

Rainforest Cafe

This restaurant is in the MGM Grand Hotel. My family and I ate here in 1999 and it was my first experience at the Rainforest Cafe. I have tried to eat at the one in Orlando many times, but I always had to wait about two hours and always gave up.I asked the hostess here what time was good so that we wouldn't have to wait. We ate dinner at 5:30 p.m., which was a little early, but not too bad because we had tickets to the EFX show afterwards. This was a really cute dining experience. Thunderstorms, moving gorillas, flying birds...it was fun. Kids would definitely enjoy it.Oh, did I mention that the food was very tasty? I went with my husband and my parents and everyone was happy. At the entranc...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 21, 2003

Rainforest Cafe
3799 Las Vegas Blvd South

EFX

I was expecting something really great from Broadway star Tommy Tune. He is a magnificent dancer, but on this night he barely lifted his legs! He put absolutely nothing into this performance. I was really surprised. The show had a medieval fantasy theme. Not one song was memorable. I have to admit . . . I nodded off a few times. It was extremely disappointing. I mentioned this to my parents and my husband, and they all agreed with me! I was so glad that we only paid $57 instead of the more expensive seats.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 21, 2003

EFX
MGM Grand Hotel Casino / 3799 Las Vegas Blvd South

Free Fun!

Attraction | "Money for Nothin' and the Fun's for Free!"

Las Vegas is great, even if you are not a gambler. Free shows! The Bellagio has the magnificent water fountain show which is synchronized to Italian opera or Frank Sinatra music. The Rio Suites has the Masquerade Mardi Gras show. Of course the Mirage has the Volcano, and Treasure Island has the Pirate Show.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. When I visited on vacation, the downtown area had the Freemont Street Experience. Not only was the laser show fantastic, they had Mardi Gras bands on every corner. I came home with loads of beads! What a great time we had!

Hotels on the Vegas Strip and More

Free Fun!

Attraction | "Money for Nothin' and the Fun's for Free!"

There are various ways of getting around Las Vegas besides cabs or cars. There is a monorail that travels from Bally's to MGM Grand (I used this most often). There is also a tram that goes from Mandalay Bay to Excalibur, and Mirage to Treasure Island. If you walk to Harrah's parking garage, there is a free bus that shuttles to the Rio Suites, which most people don't know about.

Hotels on the Vegas Strip and More

Folies Bergere

Attraction | "Folies Bergere at the Tropicana"

My friend and I went in July 1992. We were seated at a table right in front of the stage. My friend said that when the dancers were swinging overhead on the swings, she was afraid they were going to fall on her! This was a wonderful show, but there are topless dancers in it. I have a problem with this. I feel that it should be mentioned somewhere before we purchase tickets. I just want everyone to be aware of this and if you are offended, don't go. The show is very good, though.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 22, 2003

Folies Bergere
3801 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 992 7970

Splash

Attraction | "Splash!"

We went here in July, 1992. We were seated in the back of the showroom. My husband slipped the Maitre'D $10, and he seated us at a front table, so if you are not happy with your seats, tip the Maitre'D.

This show is really fantastic. There is so much going on. There are topless dancers at this show. Since I have been back to Las Vegas three times after this, I have seen advertisements that there is an earlier show without topless dancers, so consider this if you might be offended. I just don't like to be surprised and I should be given advance warning to determine if I want to view this. I do recommend the show highly. I'm sure it is even better now.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 22, 2003

Splash
2901 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 794 9433; +1

Free Entertainment

Story/Tip

Las Vegas is great even if you are not a gambler. Free shows! The Bellagio has the magnificent water-fountain show, which is synchronized to Italian opera or Frank Sinatra music. The Rio Suites has the Masquerade Mardi Gras show. Of course, the Mirage has the volcano, while Treasure Island has the pirate show. I hope I didn't leave anything out. When I visited on vacation, the downtown area had the Fremont Street Experience. Not only was the laser show fantastic, they also had Mardi Gras bands on every corner. I came home with loads of beads! What a great time we had!