Ambergris Caye Journals

New Year's in Ambergris Caye

A December 2003 trip to Ambergris Caye by hcheng

Ambergris Caye Photo, Ambergris Caye, Belize More Photos
Quote: I spent a week in Ambergris Caye for New Year's to do some scuba diving and enjoy some relaxing time in the sun. There isn't a wealth of things to do in Ambergris Caye, but there are a few choice things going on.

New Year's in Ambergris Caye

Ambergris Caye Photo, Ambergris Caye, Belize
1. Great scuba diving and snorkeling. There are great collections of underwater wildlife and coral around Ambergris that can be enjoyed this way. 2. Cave Tubing. We rode an innertube through some cave formations on the mainland. A very unique experience and a very enjoyable trip.Quick Tips: 1. Not all food is good food. Definitely read my restaurant picks before venturing off into the mostly mediocre wasteland that is Ambergris Caye restaurants. 2. Belizean and US dollars are accepted everywhere, so you don't have to exchange money before traveling to Ambergris Caye.Best Way To Get Around: Walking is definitely the best way to get around. Most locals have drive golf c...Read More

SunBreeze Hotel

Hotel

SunBreeze Hotel Photo, Ambergris Caye, Belize
The Sunbreeze Hotel is located directly across from the airport (don't worry, I didn't hear the planes at all - it's not much of an airport). Here's the good and the bad about the Sunbreeze: 1. Great location. Located right in downtown, it was very easy to get around the city. Also, being close to the airport is great because you don't have to carry your stuff very far. 2. Cable TV: I know it sounds lame that I mention cable TV, but consider this: It rained incessantly the first few days in Ambergris, and I enjoyed watching the US cable TV. So sue me. 3. The pool is great and relaxing. Not much of a beach. 4. Really nice restaurant and bar. I spent time at the bar, which is...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 20, 2003

SunBreeze Hotel
7 Coconut Dr, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
226 2191

Sharks Bar and Restaurant Photo, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Sharks bar is located on a pier, just a short walk north of the airports. DO NOT EAT HERE! The food was absolutely terrible, and the service was not great either. When they put mayonnaise on my friend's chicken sandwich when he asked them not to, they just took it back the kitchen, wiped of the chicken, and put it on new bread. Others in the group got a tuna sandwich that was all mayo and no tuna. The one good thing though is that in the back they have two sharks on display swimming in a fenced in pen off the restaurant's back patio. So go to the restaurant, see the sharks, and walk away.

In summary, a lot of mayo and two sharks.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 20, 2003

Sharks Bar and Restaurant

Tropical Cooking

Tropical Cooking Photo, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Tropical Cooking is located right next to the Sunbreeze Hotel on the street side (not on the beach) of the hotel. It''s also directly across from the airport. This is a really small restaurant/take-out joint. You order at the counter and the food is brought out to you.

We went for breakfast one day. I had some eggs and beans with tortillas (I think it was called the "Mexican Breakfast). My friend got the pancakes. Both were good, simple, and cheap. The food took longer than expected to be prepared, so don''t go there in a rush. Overall, a great place for breakfast or lunch.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 20, 2003

Tropical Cooking

Ambergris Caye, Belize

Here's a rundown of the ways to get around Ambergris Caye. 1. Walking: As I mention in my overview, walking is the best way to get around town. It only takes about 20 minutes to walk from one end of the main strip to the other. And, 90% of things to do in Ambergris Caye are on the main strip. 2. Taxi: Now, there are a few taxis around Ambergris Caye, but I did not use them. The only people that I saw using them were big families with either very young or elderly travelers. 3. Golf Cart: Now this was an interesting sight. Everywhere you go there are golf carts. Most locals have them and some tourists rent them. However, I don't think they're necessary unless you're staying at ...Read More
The addresses in this Journal won't be exact. I'm not even sure if all the places I went to even have exact addresses. Rather, in all my entries, I'll give landmarks that will help you find the different locations. It may seem confusing at first, but trust me, after a day or two in Ambergris Caye, everything will start making sense.