Rio de Janeiro Journals

RIO -A Gorgeous Location

An August 2002 trip to Rio de Janeiro by jcoon62659

Brazilian Performance at Plataforma Restaurant Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil More Photos
Quote: This is an exciting destination. The city has a pulse and excitement that is easy to feel.

RIO -A Gorgeous Location

Keep aware of your surroundings and the crowds around you and you'll find Rio is one of the most beautiful locations in the world. The scenery is breathtaking. The people are so very friendly--even a language barrier is overcome with hand gestures. If you go there--be safe--and enjoy!

We had a private driver. We were staying with friends in another part of Brazil and they had a friend there who drove us around. Driving there would be quite difficult if you did not know how to drive in Brasil. They are very aggressive drivers--reminded me a lot of New York City drivers. Best bet would be to take qualified tours or recommended tour guide.

Alfabarra

Hotel

Alfabarra Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This was a complex of condos, hotels, shops, and schools. It is behind a guarded gate, so we felt fairly safe when there. They were good about checking when you entered and left. The beach was directly across the street and very beautiful. Safety is a big factor when traveling in Rio, and we felt safe enough to let our teens walk around the complex at night alone. I do have to say that the people at the desk were not particulary helpful, which was not what you were led to believe when you looked at the web site. I rented two separate condos to house all of our party and one was quite a bit superior to the other. We also had to light the gas in each bathroom to enable us to have hot water. AS this ...Read More

Alfabarra
Barra da Tijuca
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hard Rock Cafe Rio de Janeiro

Restaurant | "Hard Rock Cafe"

Hard Rock Cafe Rio de Janeiro Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
We went to the Hard Rock Cafe by Barra Shopping. It was pretty much like every other Hard Rock Cafe; however, we were in Rio with Brazilians who had never seen nor heard of it, so it was fun to visit.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 23, 2003

Hard Rock Cafe Rio de Janeiro
Shopping Cittá América - Av. das América, 700 - 3rd flr - Barra da Tijuca
Rio de Janeiro
+55 (21) 2132-8000

Brazilian Performance at Plataforma Restaurant

Attraction | "Plataforma Samba Show"

Brazilian Performance at Plataforma Restaurant Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It is a touristy thing to do; however, it was very enjoyable. We really enjoyed the show. We were with Brazilian natives who had not done this type of thing before, and they also enjoyed it. The music was great and I wish I could move like they did. I believe the average tourist would enjoy the evening.

Brazilian Performance at Plataforma Restaurant
Rua Adalberto Ferreira 32
Leblon, Rio de Janeiro
(21) 2274.4022

Corcovado

Corcovado Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
It is an awe-inspiring thing to do, but at the time we were there, the path was under construction and you had to walk up or take a train. Because the people we were with could not afford to take the train, we walked. IT WAS LONG, HOT, AND UPHILL A VERY LONG WAY. I did not arrive until it was nearly dark. If you have any problems walking (I did not have appropriate shoes), take the train!

Corcovado
Rua Cosme Velho 513
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22241-090
+55 21 5581329

Sugarloaf Mountain

Attraction | "Sugar Loaf"

Sugarloaf Mountain Photo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Very, very beautiful. It shows the beauty of this city as you rise higher and higher in the gondola. The top offers some very, very scenic overlooks. If your are afraid of heights this may not be the trip for you, but I think if you can overcome that fear - you will feel greatly rewarded. The ride is on a tram that stops midway to the top and then you get on another one to continue on. It overlooks the harbor and is breathtaking. We had a few in our party who were very afraid of the tram ride, but it was smooth and seemed to be kept in good shape as far as I could tell. I would like to say that we were there in Brazil''s winter time and it was crowded even then, so I imagine that during Carnival,...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 23, 2003