Rye Journals

Charming Medieval City

A May 1999 trip to Rye by JohnR

Quote: Quaint Walled City in the South of England

Charming Medieval City

Ypres Tower, Church, shopping in the High Street, half day trips to nearby historic sites.

Walking

Jeake's House

Hotel | "Jeakes House"

Jeakes House on Mermaid Street has been converted from a former Quaker Meeting House. Actually, I believe it is more than one house combined. Our en suite room was called (as best I can recall) the elders bedroom. Breakfast in the large dining room was all one would expect in an English B&B. Two negatives - parking is in a public lot two block away, and their telephone system was blocked for credit card calls (no calling an 800 number and then home) so we were forced to go through their switchboard and bear the hefty markup.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 10, 2000

Jeake's House
Mermaid Street
Rye, England TN31
+44 (0) 1797 222828

Rye Lodge

Hotel

First class accommodations on one floor (good for my ailing knees). Parking available around back. Full service dining room definitely in the 'fine dining category' - more than adequate wine list. No negatives.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 10, 2000

Rye Lodge
Landgate
Rye, England

Rye, England

Story/Tip

Rye, England, one of the 'Cinque Ports' is still one of my favorite places to visit in that country (visited there in 92, 94, 96, 97, and 99). Perhaps it is because I am 25% Brit (four of my 16 gr gr grandparents came from England as teenagers), perhaps it is because my immigrant ancestors lived in the area, or perhaps it is because the area around Rye is the epitome of quaint.Rye is a walled city, and the principal entry to the old part of the city is through a city gate in that wall. The High Street is lined with shops, and we always find one or more pieces of porcelain to add to our collection in Grahams.One of the original 'Cinque Ports' Rye received special tax bre...Read More